Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like OE is 9008.

What I don't like about the LED's is that the cutoff may be not sharp enough (got flashed once) and the High Beam is not much of an improvement (more like a better pattern but overall not brighter.)

I DO NOT like OE projectors that have the brick wall cutoff where it is impossible to see anything above the cutoff line. Could not drive friends Chevy PU on hilly roads much more than 35 mph because there was zero illumination.

If the OE 9008's are like that, these LED's are just fine.

The original owner put the LEDs in because he didn't like the OE lights - that's all the info I have - don't what what it was that he didn't like.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't know about the Escapes, but the sister Mazda Tribute has horrible head lights (I have an 11 and an 05). I'm strongly considering trying LEDs but am looking for something below 6K color temp.

Regarding cutoff, there really isn't much of one because these are reflectors.

If you got flashed once, don't worry about it. It could have been on a slight right turn or you were on a slight up pitch on an otherwise level road. It happens. More than once in a while and I would look at checking head light aim.

If you try stock bulbs, let us know how you make out going back to halogens. Also, see if there's a name/model number on the LED housings.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previous owner put the LED's in - I'll try to get the part number if they are accessible.

I know with projectors, they assume a near point source. These LED's are a big corncob which should totally spray beyond the OE cutoff.

I watched a couple youtube comparisons of LED's and it is amazing that DOT allows these to be sold. Some produced a floodlight without any pattern at all.

I guess the real question is what do people think about the OE headlights?
Simply, do they like them or not?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Halogen bulbs in the OE headlights suck. LED bulbs like you describe in OE headlight reflectors, suck more.

If it isn't a projector style, there is no cut off! There might be places that get no light, and LED bulbs with 2 light points around where the halogen bulb filament would be are better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts