Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you considering what to put on your car, I have a couple of pics of my Escape. I just bought the car this Spring, the previous owner took good care of it so I only had to have the guy fill in a few stone chips before installing the film.

The paint protection film is on the front of the hood, the headlights, and the front of the fenders to protect from stone chips. There's a reason they call it "invisible". I had this stuff on the previous car we owned for 8 years and it didn't have any chips where the film was installed.

The rest of the car:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
That is amazing. I must definitely check out this protective film. Thank you for the pics, gman1868! :)

For future reference, where would I go to have this film installed? And where did you order yours?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colleen said:
That is amazing. I must definitely check out this protective film. Thank you for the pics, gman1868! :)

For future reference, where would I go to have this film installed? And where did you order yours?
I always have had a professional installer do it. Whether they use the 3M branded or Venture Shield, use Angies List or word of mouth to find a good person. The guy who did mine has been doing tint and film for 25 years (at least) and he custom cuts the film for the vehicle. I've heard alot of stories of people buying a kit on ebay and trying it themselves but have had a very difficult time putting it on.

I have an account on Angies list of you need a couple quick picks ;)

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Thank you for all the info. We will definitely want a professional to do the install.
We are going on a cruise June 11th and I am concentrating on preparing for that right now. Will probably check into this after we get back. I have been concerned about protecting the front end of my Mariner but did not want to put a bug shield on it. This is the perfect solution.

·
Registered
55 Posts
just curious how much you guys paid for it?

i found this in my local area

Protect Your Investment with 3M Paint Protection Film** NEW * LOW ** WHOLESALE TO THE PUBLIC PRICING ** Hood Protection Package
Protects the hood, fenders & mirrors like an invisible bra. Installed $325.00
Front Bumper Protection
Helps minimize stone chips and bug damage to your painted bumper.
An essential for highway commuters. Installed $410.00
Headlight Protection Kit Installed $ 95.00
TOTAL $830.00
Install all Three and Save 20% SAVE $166.00 $664.00
that is in BC... total 664 + tax... is it a good price?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is outrageuosly expensive.

To have the front of the hood (12"), the leading section of the fenders, and the headlights, I paid less than $200.00 installed here in Minneapolis.

One thing the installer did was wrap the leading edge of the hood to keep that from getting chipped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the whole front end done for 600$ installed taxes in.

Hood, leading foot of the quarter panels, entire grill, headlights, entire bumper, fronts of both mirrors. All covered in the 3m product, I swear by that stuff. I'm in the interior of BC, LOTS of gravel on the roads in the winter, had that on the hood of my previous car (hyundai tucson) and the hood was FLAWLESS when I traded it in, not a single mark where the 3m stuff was. I didnt do the headlights on the tucson, and they were pretty scarred up and hazy after 4 years.

I would do it again on my next vehicle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to admit I've never asked how much to cover all the front end like that. If you're driving around on gravel every day, it would make sense to pay the man and have it done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice one! My friend was planning to install some bug shield on his Ford but I think I'll suggest this because it looks more effective and cleaner to look at. Thanks for sharing this info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts