Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 Trib has 27,000 miles on it. My brakes are starting to make that "squeling" noise that usually indicates I need new pads. 27K seems like an awfully short life span for pads. Has anyone else expierenced such a short pad life? BTW, most of my driving is 75% Hwy 25% city.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Well I tend to drive a bit aggressively and my first pads lasted about 15000 miles, I'm now at 46000 and might need to do them again here. So your experience kinda reflects mine but it depecds alot on driving habits and environment.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Do you drive with your left foot on the brake while your right foot is gassin it? lol My friend's dad does that.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Do you have discs in the rear? In many cars rear pads will wear just as fast or faster than fronts because of the amount of debris back there.

If you can take off the wheels and have a look, if the pads still have meat then it's likely just the pad backing plate rubbing against the caliper. There are products from companies like KleenFlo and CRC called Disc Brake Quiet which you apply to the back of the pads (not the friction surface) which quiets down the squealing from vibration. I like the aerosol cans but you can also get them in a squeeze bottle.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had close to 30K on my "02" before I changed over to EBC Pads and rotors. They still had life left. IMO, the Escapes brakes are better than G.M.'s. I owned 3 Blazers and it was almost a guarantee that you replaced them at 20K. The main reason I replaced them was because of the dust...........

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feed back. My 2002 Grand Cherokee wth a 120K on it never needed the brakes done. So it's been a while since I've dealt with brake issues.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My 2003 Limited is doing exactly the same thing. I had it inspected and they said the brakes were good. I don't have the nerve to take it apart and spray anything on it, but I would like to switch to the ceramics.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I had to do my front pads at around 35,000 miles (can't remember the exact mileage) I replaced them with EBC greenstuff pads, (Part number 71616 i think) More for their low dust properties than anything else.

27,000 does seem a bit soon though, you must drive with a heavy right foot. :))

If the pads aren't worn, might be worth just resetting them with some fresh copper grease on the backs.

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Chris said:
I had to do my front pads at around 35,000 miles (can't remember the exact mileage) I replaced them with EBC greenstuff pads, (Part number 71616 i think) More for their low dust properties than anything else.

If the pads aren't worn, might be worth just resetting them with some fresh copper grease on the backs.
...or a left foot?? no, that would be in England?...But if you mean left foot, that would imply "riding the brake" which I never do. -\/- ..I'm so confused

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is having squeeky brakes a common Escape/Tribute issue?
My two mate's Escapes' squeek like crazy, the neighbour's Escape across the road does it and mine does it too. I normally give the disk and calliper a good spray with the hose and the squeek goes away for a while.

I plan to change my pads on saturday. Along with the radiator hoses :bang:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tribby said:
Is having squeeky brakes a common Escape/Tribute issue?
My two mate's Escapes' squeek like crazy, the neighbour's Escape across the road does it and mine does it too. .........
I think that if you have the rear drum breaks, it is an issue. Typically, you'd hear the squeak when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Bilbo makes a good point. Is your squeak as you stop or while depressing or releasing the peddle? The rear shoes on cars with brake drums have rub tabs that need to be lubed occasionally or they rub metal to metal when moving the brake peddle. Rear shoes often get ignored in a break job and if it squeaks even when the car is not moving then this is likely your problem.

·
Registered
464 Posts
:lol: I get both squeeks. When breaking to a stop or when breaking at speed, my front pads squeel a little bit. When I come to a complete stop the rear drums let out a little "Squeek" which sounds like a little mouse is in there.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Get some "Disc Brake Quiet" stuff in a spray can - they are usually blue or red. Take the drums off and lift the shoes from the backing plate with a large screwdriver (or pliers, whatever works for you). You should see three bumps on the backing plate where the shoe makes contact - spray those down with disc brake quiet, but don't get any on the friction material itself.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
MadMax said:
Big Chris said:

...or a left foot?? no, that would be in England?...But if you mean left foot, that would imply "riding the brake" which I never do. -\/- ..I'm so confused
I think it's right foot gas, right foot brake and (for those with one) left foot clutch the world over, regardless of LHD or RHD. Isn't it?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
chris your right, but some people do use their left foot for their brake on an automatic. an old dodge i used to drive as a plow truck had to be driven two footed when it was cold lol. and i have never seen a left foot throttle application.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts