Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Has anybody used a brake dust shield? Do these things actually work as intended or are they a waste of money?

I have serious brake dust issues on the front wheels, to the point where its getting hard to clean them (even with scrubs and whiteners). My car gets bathed very, very frequently so it's not like I'm letting it accumulate.....it just does.

Don't need new brakes or pads yet so I was thinking of trying these http://www.amazon.com/Kleen-Wheels-..._8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1220653303&sr=1-8 or something similar.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I don't have them so I can't comment from experience but I've read about people that loved them and people that had issues with heat build up that caused warped rotors. I changed my pads and rotors. Initially I got Raybestos pads and rotors (about $130 installed). It reduced the dust a good bit but the rotors warped on me twice in 9 months. I went to Midas and asked for ceramic pads and rotors (about $500). They told me I didn't need the pads so I just got the front rotors (about $260). This is a great combination. There is very little dust and the stopping power is fine...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have heard of the dust diverter, if you want to call it that. ;) I am not too sure that I would want to keep the heat on the rotor like that. :shrug: I am with Robtroma, never used them. I do have friends with Bullitts that have converted to ceramics without issue. :thumb: Not sure that I will do that either. I hear them on other cars, and am a anti noise fanatic. ;-|

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It really depends on what "ceramics" you install. The real noise-makers are the semi-metallics, but ceramics can also "be" semi-metallics...sort of. Most ceramic pads contain less than 20% actual ceramic material, and the rest of the filler material will determine how noisy and dusty the pads are. To stay in line with marketing, most ceramic pads are formulated to be low-noise, low-dust, and long-life, but performance pads will have different characteristics. I use Satisfied Pro Ceramics which are low-dust (white dust, actually), low-noise, but also have reduced stopping power that is characteristic of many non-performance ceramics. I upgraded to slotted rotors to improve grab, which brought my stopping power to just above what the stock brakes provided. I would stay far away from cross-drilled rotors.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
From what I have heard cross drilled rotors provide no braking performance increase. It just makes them interesting to look at. Which does nothing for me, I'm in the car stepping on the brake pedal... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts