Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,798 Posts
Looks like you did more than one. Not an Escape, I think. There's not a lot of pressure, so you may be able to get away with using 'Great stuff' or similar to make an RTV gasket. If you do that instead of cork/rubber/paper, be sure to let it set up for at least 24 hours before filling and putting to use. I do not claim expertise, but when putting together, run a bead as evenly as you can, plop in place, tighten the bolts hand tight, and stop. Let it cure for a while, be patient, and then tighten to final torque.
tom

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
775 Posts
gonna tap a new hole im so irritated with this
agreeing with Tom, this don't look like an escape. I would suggest using a self tapping bolt, it is only securing the cover, there is no pressure involved.

Do not use expanding foam hole filler on a differential.
Lay out the cover on a cereal box, and cut two or three gaskets if necessary. I have also seen a C bracket cut out to bridge the gap between two holes to serve the same purpose. This is not a big deal.
( :

· Registered
2015 Escape SE 2.0L Turbo
27 Posts
Since you've broken an extractor in there....I'd make a pressure plate and give it a slight bend, use the 2 holes around it and use black permetex to make a nice goo gasket

· Premium Member
775 Posts

· Premium Member
775 Posts
It's a little pricey, but it works. No lubrication and start the job at full speed. The tool eats easy-outs without problem.
I have worked at easy outs for hours, trying to get them out, and usually wound up with a cut off wheel, or grinder… I have also had luck, hitting the side of the easy out/nut with a ball peen, and getting it to shock back up out of the hole.
Kind of like the easiest way to remove a rod end, or a ball joint.

no lube, really? I mean it would at least save the bit on the tool… Even if it's not technically necessary, what do you think

they want you to buy more bits ( :

· Registered
464 Posts
Correct, no lube, per the instructions. Approach the work at full speed. No worries about the speed, there is no chatter or jumping of the bit. Very easy to control. My techs can remove an easy-out and still save the treads of the bolt hole. Maybe a little tapping for clean up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts