Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys and girls the drivers door no longer opens from the outside :taz: and I'm tired of getting in from the back door. When I got the door panel off and looked in the bottom of the door I found a wee half of a :censor:pLASTIC part . Now do I have to replace the whole handle or can I purchase parts and fix it :shrug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having the same issue on 'the wife's' Escape...drivers door handle b0rked, found a half-moon shaped piece of something in the bottom of the door. Did you replace the entire handle?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Why not is probably the more pertennt question. If that one part broke, and I am assuming it's plastic, it maybe time for all new pieces to open the door. Just fix it once. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
The little aluminum piece that you found inside the door is part of the "Door Handle Reinforcement" as Ford calls it. It cost me $25 from Ford to replace it. My passenger side handle did the same thing. My wife found it hilarious that she could make me wait outside the truck while it's raining for her to open the door. Assuming they are the same, here's the part numbers. Double check just to make sure with your dealer.

Drivers Side - 6T2Z*78223N03*A
Passenger Side - 6T2Z*78224N02*A

·
Registered
6 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Why not is probably the more pertennt question. If that one part broke, and I am assuming it's plastic, it maybe time for all new pieces to open the door. Just fix it once. ;)
Actually its funny you mentioned that -- I did replace all the plastic pieces. When the door handle freezes in place you tug harder on it to open causing the silly plastic part on the inside to break.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I had a similiar problem where my door handle would not open from outside.It felt loose likie it wasn't catching anything.I have a couple pics on here somewhere of what the inside door handle looks like.

And there is a spring catch where the door handle catches onto and that spring mechanism was dried up and stuck.So i sprayed it with dry lube and lock ease.They have graphite in them that doesn't attract dirt and doesn't leave oily residue.

After doing this few times,especially in colder months,I finally figured out an easier solution rather than taking door panels off to oil them down.

I stuck the straw to the dry lube in the crease where handle goes into door and sprayed away.Then i pulled the door andle lightly really quick until i felt it get looser and grab then door opened.

Nothing was broken inside,and from what i could see it looks like u would have to get whole new handle but i not real sure.If anyone wants i can search for those pics of inside of door handle and what i talking about with that spring and catch lever from door handle that was my problem..

PITA getting drivers side door panel off when door wont open,there is a screw on inside edge u can get at when door closed.So i glad i found that spraying dry lube from outside worked for me..PHEW..Spent hours on all my door handles..Poor design,cold really effects them..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts