Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm brand new here as I just got my 2011 Ford Escape XLT yesterday! I love it. My wife and I had an Escape back in 2002 or so, but had to get rid of it when our first child came along. So I was glad to get another one because we liked the first one so much.

Anyhow, I got the XLT with the sport appearance package, and it looks stellar. I was considering, however, adding a bull bar, but I noticed that there is a lower fascia on the front of my Escape. Will this prevent proper placement of a bull bar? I found this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-10-Fo ... ccessories

and the Escape is identical to mine and it even shows the lower fascia there, but I know that photoshopping can occur.

It's not life-or-death that I get a bull bar, but I thought it might be a nice way to individualize my Escape. If it comes down to it and I have to choose, I'd rather have the lower fascia, because I think that makes it look sportier.

As an aside question, I assume that any part fitting the 2010 models will fit the 2011 models. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks and nice to meet y'all!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
105 Posts
Forum member CharlieJ was kind enough to write up this walk through concerning installation of the bull bar. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5503 His and the one I installed are pretty much the same and we both had to cut the valance/fascia. You have to make 2 slits in it to allow the brackets to come through. See his thread for pictures.

And yes, 2011 model Escapes are identical to 2010s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I opted to just get rid of that fascia (ford calls it a "splash guard," I think) when I installed my bar. I was never a fan of that thing. It just looked kinda cheap/flimsy to me. Now the PAINTED one on my Mustang was a different story...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
105 Posts
Ronin said:
I opted to just get rid of that fascia (ford calls it a "splash guard," I think) when I installed my bar. I was never a fan of that thing. It just looked kinda cheap/flimsy to me. Now the PAINTED one on my Mustang was a different story...
That fascia that you're not fond of is crucial to highway mpg's. Ford puts that on the Escape to help aerodynamics. If you notice, most new vehicles now come with that fascia in some form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I had indeed heard that it helps with MPG, and I hung onto it for a short time after removal just in case I noticed a difference. But my gas mileage remained comparable, so I chucked it. That thing might help ever-so-slghtly, but it's not magic. Adding any of various popular mods such as roof racks or aftermarket wheels (with their added drag and weight) surely offsets the negligible gain from that fascia anyway. Just sayin'... If one does not lose sleep over those kinds of mods, one should likewise not be worried about removing that fascia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
BKNBLK said:
Hi everyone! I'm brand new here as I just got my 2011 Ford Escape XLT yesterday! I love it. My wife and I had an Escape back in 2002 or so, but had to get rid of it when our first child came along. So I was glad to get another one because we liked the first one so much.

Anyhow, I got the XLT with the sport appearance package, and it looks stellar. I was considering, however, adding a bull bar, but I noticed that there is a lower fascia on the front of my Escape. Will this prevent proper placement of a bull bar? I found this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-10-Fo ... ccessories

and the Escape is identical to mine and it even shows the lower fascia there, but I know that photoshopping can occur.

It's not life-or-death that I get a bull bar, but I thought it might be a nice way to individualize my Escape. If it comes down to it and I have to choose, I'd rather have the lower fascia, because I think that makes it look sportier.

As an aside question, I assume that any part fitting the 2010 models will fit the 2011 models. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks and nice to meet y'all!
The Escape in that Ebay auction is actually the one I own. I purchased the bull bar from them and I cant be any happier. I had it installed professionally and all they did was cut two small slivers off the lower fascia. Take a look at some of the pics I've posted. I say go for it and congrats on your new Escape. I love my 09 XLT.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
105 Posts
Ronin said:
I had indeed heard that it helps with MPG, and I hung onto it for a short time after removal just in case I noticed a difference. But my gas mileage remained comparable, so I chucked it. That thing might help ever-so-slghtly, but it's not magic. Adding any of various popular mods such as roof racks or aftermarket wheels (with their added drag and weight) surely offsets the negligible gain from that fascia anyway. Just sayin'... If one does not lose sleep over those kinds of mods, one should likewise not be worried about removing that fascia.
Ford claims that the front air dam increases fuel mileage by .75 mpg. I'll take that extra little bit if all it means is that I make slits when installing my bull bar. Besides, with the air dam in place the mounting hardware for the bull bar is hidden.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top