Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were some folks, in another thread, asking about my bull bar install. So, I told them I'd post pics of the bull bar brackets, bolts, etc as they look attached to the front of the 2009 Escape XLT.

This is how the bull bar looks on the Escape:

Driver side attachment (at the air valance):

Passenger side attachment (same):

Back side of the air valance:

Underneath (this is the flat part of the anchor plate, attached to the U bolt that goes through the frame):

Note that the splash guards on both sides must be cut a bit to fit the anchor plate to the frame:

The instructions for making these cuts were pretty good... good enough I could follow them using the pictures supplied with the instructions.

From this angle, you can see the anchor plate and the bull bar anchor bolted together, as well as the cutout in the air valance:

Top bracket (attached using T bolt set inside the metal bumper on the lower section):

Another view:

I hope these photos are helpful to anyone thinking of adding a bull bar to their "E".

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Nice write-up! Thanks :thumb:

The bull bar looks great :yes:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Great write up. Asking the wife for one. To me it seems better attached than the westin.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nice! Great info there.

I like the Bull Bar better on the 08+ Escapes, but maybe I just haven't seen enough full racks on them.

Your bar attaches a little different than my new one, but similar to my old one. I think they moved the connection points around some.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeh, i think they did move them also, as the top bars mount above the gap where as on the 02 model, the A bar mounts under the radiator, or it does on the bar i have.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello CharlieJ.
Thanks for the message.
I gave it a perusal.
Quite informative, with the assistance of those photos. :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS folks! I'm glad to be able to offer something informative to the group. Not much of a mechanic, so it's good to be able to use my photo skills to give something back. :yes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just ordered one off ebay, going with the black poweder coat, thought about getting the chrome but felt it would get "lost" in the chrome i already have in the front (chrome grill and chrome lower bumber)

My escape is black so it'll really POP! in the front end

thanks for the photos, these will help loads!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good job and awesome write-up!!

Looks killer too! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Joker i agree with you..The black will look alot better on yours..I not just saying that cause i hate chrome,but with your grills already chromed the black bullbar will have good contrast in front of all that chrome.. :thumb:

Then get some Hella FogLights to go with it..

·
Registered
49 Posts
that bull bar looks fantastic! i want to put something on my escape but im torn between the bull bar and a full grille guard. what do you guys think is best for a black 08 xlt 4wd.

·
Registered
73 Posts
do you remember what size washers you used when bolting on the bull bar brackets to the actual bullbar? i couldn't notice any in your photos and I'm in the middle of mounting mine now LOL

The company I got mine off of (store on eBay) seems to have given me the wrong size washer, Instructions say to use a 12mm washer, 12mm hex bolt and a lock washer, but when I bolt it on, the welding seems to interfere with the washer and wont sit flush when i bolt it down, i dont wanna screw up the weld of strip the bolt . I attached two photos of what it looks like, sorry they are upside down (dont know why the image hosted did that)but you can see what it looks like.... doesn't look right to me and I cant see what was done in the photos on the instuctions

any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Joker.Is there a nut on the other side of the bolt? You have the lock washer in the wrong spot.It should be right under the nut,not the bolt head.
Hard to tell from pic but that washer looks to be too big where the hole is..No idea on size,but just bring the nut and bolt with you to hardware store and get a flat washer for top under bolt head, then get another flat washer to put on bottom where nut and lock washer goes.
So bottom put on washer first,then lock washer, then nut and tighten it down til lock washer flattens out..

·
Registered
73 Posts
No, there is no nut, the hex bolt threads directly into the bull bar, here are the instructions i received with the bar

http://www.steelcraftautomotive.com/_up ... ctions.pdf

everything seems pretty straight forward, the cuts were a little different then in the picture, but of course it says "trim whatever else as needed" LOL, just hate when you run into a snag like this and you're left wondering "did I miss something? use the wrong nut? etc." and you're left scratching your head :?

thanks for the suggestion, I will try and get a smaller washer that will accommodate the 12mm bolt, I just hope I don't run in to anymore hiccups. I wanna get this thing on ASAP!!!! LOL

when I do, you're saying that I should go Bolt to washer to bullbar then yeah? and just forget about the lock washer?

thanks again

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Well since there is no nut on there then u can use the lock washer just like u have it in pic..

·
Registered
73 Posts
alright, so I finally got it on, but seeing as I did it myself, the alignment is a little skew, one side seems lower then the other, according to my level I put directly on top of the bar

any tips for those of you that have done it by yourself with no help to get it to sit properly?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Well mine is a brushguard,different from yours,but when i did mine i kept everything loose then when i had it where i wanted it i then tightened up all the nuts and bolts..

It may be different and hopefully someone with a bullbar will chime in..but my method may work also

1 - 20 of 33 Posts