Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
hmmmm.......
I think that's a little over board in my opinion.That would look good, maybe if the guy is going to get a lift and some bigger tires,but right now on the stock look i think it's just a bit to much.
And on a side note that thing has sharp edges and it makes it look unfinished.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I agree... it would look great if you add some more mods so that doesn't standout so much.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well are you actually going to do trails?
If so it's not a bad idea, just make sure you get the lightest bumper and winch avail for the Escape. If your going to add it just to look cool, I think it would be a waste of a lot of money you can use on other stuff. fender flares? Again only if your actually going to use the rig for trails. There is really no need to spend the amount of money on something your not going to use.Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think it looks awesome! :thumb:

The Escape isn't the best trail rig, so if your going to dump money into something to take off road, might consider dumping it into a vehicle more suited for that activity. However, even if it's all for show, I say it looks great!

·
Registered
93 Posts
where do tou get fender flares if they even make them for a 08

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think it would look good as a off road look with a lift and some big knobby tires. Just be aware thats looks very heavy and should give your front end a beating. Remember its not the same weight as passengers would produce. People and cargo are going to be mostly centered in between the axles and wont really effect driving too much. But excessive weight in the nose could create some issues with suspension wear. Pick up a 50lb weight and hold it close to your body this will simulate passenger weight, then pick it up and hold it with your arms fully extended out and this will simulate the winch and bull guard extended off your front end. Just keep this in mind. Otherwise that will look great with off road looks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmm... interesting to say the least. I'd sure like to see the design rules or whatever that need to be adhered to in the States for the design and manufacture of a bar like that. I can guarantee that it wouldn't pass any of those existing down here.

Bullbars with winches are fairly commonplace in Australia...almost exclusively mounted on serious 4x4s such as Landcruiser, Nissan Patrols etc. They are very rarely if ever seen on "soft roaders" such as the Escape. I've never seen one at all. The rules are very strict on the design as well....there is no way a bar with projecting edges such as that would pass. It would be considered as extremely dangerous in the case of a collision with a pedestrian.

Not to mention added weight over the front end..stressing suspension and steering components way past their capacity.

As has already been mentioned..if your intention is to travel in areas where the use of a winch may become necessary...you have chosen the wrong vehicle and you should rethink your priorities.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like it, but in no way legal anywhere here in Australia. But I still want one :yes:

·
Registered
168 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
Anyone think this is over the top?

They really do need to get rid of those sharp edges...and the bar itself looks pretty flimsy so I'm not sure how much I'd trust it even to attach the winch to let alone in a recovery situation.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
christophera said:
SilverSurfer said:
Anyone think this is over the top?

They really do need to get rid of those sharp edges...and the bar itself looks pretty flimsy so I'm not sure how much I'd trust it even to attach the winch to let alone in a recovery situation.
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000!
Not only it looks silly and dangerous, but it is functionless too!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My thought process is this. It is always better to be over prepared than under. While I dont intend to have to use it, one never knows. Yeah the escape isnt the ideal off road platform. Ive had 3 grand cherokees and all but the last one were excellent.
As far as the guillotine-esque front on this one - I do agree. Ideally I would love to have one that replaces the the front bumper cover with an integrated winch (see ARB for some of theirs) since this one looks like it really kills approach angle. I know Ive seen a winch mount for the rear that attaches to the trailer hitch. Just have to remember where.
That link for the fender flares is my inspiration. That escape was built for SEMA in 03 or 04.

·
Registered
501 Posts
goldash03 said:
This is what i was talking about
You know ......wheels ,fender flares and maybe some aux lights

http://www.focustuning.com/escape.htm
I insist, i Like this!! :lol:

I know the E is a soft roader, however it looks cool :)P....perhaps if we file down the sharp edges? :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts