Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have owned my 07 escape since august 2008 and since I got it I have noticed this strange buzzing sound coming from the dash. It doesnt do it all the time, but I only notice it when I'm driving. It sounds like a bee is stuck behind the dash.

I have tried to figure it out for a long time, and it is really getting on my nerves. Fan speed doesn't affect it, road speed does though.

I am thinking that it may be my tires (Continental Contitrac), because they are scalloping and making a hell of alot of noise and some vibrations.

Anyone else have the phantom bee in their car?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The only buzzing I notice from my dash is from the 6 pack CD. Even when it's in the radio mode the mechnism inside does this strange idle cylce thing.
When it's quiet and your sitting in the driveway try hitting the power button on your stereo, had me stumpped for a bit too.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
parkerd619 said:
Ok. I have owned my 07 escape since august 2008 and since I got it I have noticed this strange buzzing sound coming from the dash. It doesnt do it all the time, but I only notice it when I'm driving. It sounds like a bee is stuck behind the dash.

I have tried to figure it out for a long time, and it is really getting on my nerves. Fan speed doesn't affect it, road speed does though.

I am thinking that it may be my tires (Continental Contitrac), because they are scalloping and making a hell of alot of noise and some vibrations.

Anyone else have the phantom bee in their car?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Don
Dude!
You haven't been reading the tire threads have you :shock: :confused:

Conti-tracs making noise, or scalloping! Your kidding right?

Seriously. You have got to rotate those things every four to five thousand miles. They will go the 80K miles as advertised. But they are like the most beautiful woman you have ever seen...Very High Maintenance!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
rehctelf said:
The only buzzing I notice from my dash is from the 6 pack CD. Even when it's in the radio mode the mechnism inside does this strange idle cylce thing.
When it's quiet and your sitting in the driveway try hitting the power button on your stereo, had me stumpped for a bit too.
I have the same symptoms, with my Escape CD player rehctelf.
Yes it, actually sounds like a buzzing effect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, those tires are very high maintenance. I have them rotated with every oil change.

I will definitely check the stereo next time I hear the buzzing noise.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Don :bang:

·
Registered
328 Posts
another posibility..

after 2 years i started to hear a high pitched buzing sound comming from steering wheel area. drove me nuts for 3 monts - turns out its the glass covering the gauges rattling against the trim piece above it. try pressing against the glass next time to see if it stops - might be that and you just need to tighten those two bolts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breensy said:
another posibility..

after 2 years i started to hear a high pitched buzing sound comming from steering wheel area. drove me nuts for 3 monts - turns out its the glass covering the gauges rattling against the trim piece above it. try pressing against the glass next time to see if it stops - might be that and you just need to tighten those two bolts.
That's also a very good idea, I will check that. I have disconnected my stereo just for kicks, to see if I could narrow it down.... Still heard the sound.

The search goes on...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Breensy said:
another posibility..

UPDATE!!! I FOUND THE PROBLEM...

no more buzzing sound. It was the plastic covering over the guage cluster.... I was ready to start tearing the dash apart. Thank goodness I don't have to do that!!!

Thanks Breensy!! :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
What a deal! I am glad that you found the source.

So, what was your repair?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jonas1022 said:
What a deal! I am glad that you found the source.

So, what was your repair?
I just took the black retaining trim off and lightly sanded the edges to take some material off. It was a bit of a barbaric approach, but it got the job done and you can't tell by looking at it. 1000 grit sandpaper does a good job without making a mess. Now the clear plastic doesn't touch the black trim. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Breensy said:
outstanding, glad you found it. took me months to find it lol. its weird how it just started now eh?
Well, it was doing it for a little while, I just kept ignoring it until one morning when I was in a bad mood. Then I couldn't stand it anymore. It was time to find and fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '02 started doing it yesterday. Sounds like a HUGE bee in there going across from the passenger side by the window to the middle of the dash and back again! Only happenned on the highway, when i was doing 110kmh,then down to 90kmh, i banged on the dash a bit to see if the ol' Fonzarelli trick would work, but no luck...what the heck..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts