Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last time I got my oil changed, the mechanic told me that I don't have a cabin air filter. Like it doesn't exist. Haha. So my dad wants to buy one and even if we do, we have no idea how to install it. I searched for diagrams and stuff but I didn't come up with anything.

Any help? Also brand suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy says that you can buy the "lifetime filter" and wash it out. I say buy the material from Home Depot, Lowe's etc. in the form of a filter and cut to fit. When it gets dirty, cut out a new one and remove the old one, install the new piece. One large HVAC filter cut to fit = lifetime supply of little filters for the Tribute. If you buy the Ford/Mazda part it's going to cost several dollars for the same filtration... :thumb:

If you do a search, or look into the How to section of problems and repairs there are probably a couple of threads on this subject. I don't both with it on our Tribute, but if your dad feels the need for clean... :angel: ;)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Squishy says to buy the lifetime furnace filter stuff so you never have to replace it. I rinse mine out with a hose once a year.

It won't be a perfect fit if you cut it yourself, so you should get a proper filter if you have allergies.

To get at it, you need to remove the passenger-side cowl panel. There should be a black plastic tray underneath covering a raised plastic air intake. That's where the filter goes.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3367

I don't have full instructions for the filter because my service manual just says "Go away, you can't have one." :mad:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I installed a filter in my Escape not too long ago and it's actually not too bad to do. Here's a few things I learned:

1. If you're like me, you'll think "Hey! The driver's side has all of the holes in the cowl so that must be where the air goes in." NO! I removed the windshield wipers and that cowl just to learn that the windshield wiper motor (or some motor thingy) is over there. :doh: The air intake where the filter is located is under the passenger side cowl, like Squishy pointed out.
    [/*]
  2. You do not need to remove the windshield wipers to get the passenger cowl off. Simply start the car, turn on the wipers, and shut the ignition off when the wipers are in the up position. This will move the wiper arms out of the way.
    [/*]
  3. The upper part of the cowl (near the windshield) has actual screws in it. The lower part (normally under the hood) uses a plastic screw-like retainer to hold the cowl in place. If you look at the retainer, you'll see that it's actually a screw part and a clip part that holds the screw in place. To remove the retainer, get a pair of needle-nose pliers and gently squeeze on the clip part. You can now unscrew the retainer screw part with a normal philips screwdriver. To reinstall the retainer, just push it back into the clip.
    [/*]
  4. If you do need to get the wipers off for some reason, be sure to somehow index the position of the wiper arm with the screw it mounts to. I did this by scratching a line over the two while the wiper was still mounted. Trying to pull the wiper straight off was really difficult. It wasn't until about 15 frustrating minutes that I figured out the trick. Push down on the middle of the wiper arm near the hinge in the middle. This will cause the arm to pivot a bit on the screw. Now the assembly will pull right off.[/*]

Hopefully someone finds this useful. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just installed a cabin filter in my 02 escape.....i got it from rs strauss auto parts chain...it was 20 bucks...its made by puraltor...and in the box was detailed instructions with photos on its installation 10 minute job

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.