Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now, had a brake pedal pulsation whilst driving the Maverick.

In an effort to cure this, I have searched the 'tinterweb, and spent countless hours under the wheelarches of the Maverick in searching for a cure.

So far, I have replaced the front pads, front brake discs, rear brake shoes, checked the rear drum for "trueness", had the wheels balanced, had the wheel bearings checked, even checked the front calipers, the pulse would go away, then return a few days later, and then get progressively worse :wall: :wall: :rant:

In desperation, today I pulled the ABS fuse out, and guess what, the pulse dissapeared as if by magic :woohoo:

Now this leads me to think that it's either the sensor, or the tone rings that are at fault.

The cost of these items are quite expensive over here, as they are classed as a "Ford Dealer only part, and Ford GB don't sell the rings seperately, you haave to obtain the entire axle, which with labour charges, is more than what the Maverick is worth.

Which set me thinking, can I just disable the ABS system, as most of my previous vehicles have never had it anyway, and the braking of the Mav has improved since I pulled the fuse.

Must replace the fuse though, as it also controls the airbags.

Yep, I know that ABS is a safety feature, but I do feel that ABS is very overated, and given the choice, I would do without it, as in snow, ice, mud etc, it causes more problems than it solves with regards to braking performance, indeed at work we specify coaches without ABS, if possible.

Any thoughts.........................

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
ABS in some instances of application, actually lengthen the stopping distance :bill: . For those souls that don't truely know how to modulate the brakes in an emergency braking situation, it is better that they have ABS :yes: . Their floundering about will cause an even longer stop :bang: . For you however, Mr. Professional Coach Operator :blush: , I should think that your ability to stop your little Maverick would surpass anything that a machine could offer. :calvin:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I detect a bit of "taking the wee wee" in that previous post :clap: :lol:

But, you are correct, since pulling the fuse, the Mavericks brakes are a lot better, stopping distances are much shorter.....

The problem seems o be that drivers nowadays don't drive their car, they just "pilot" them, thanks to all the sophisticated gadgetry that they come with.

When I first started to drive, i was taught the art of "cadence braking", a skill sadly now almost lost, mainly thanks to ABS...........

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have no claims on being a good or great or professional driver. I have over the years probably driven over two million miles...just adding up the miles driven in all my cars and trucks. No accidents so far, and most of it was done without ABS in heavy to moderate traffic.

My son on the other hand, typifies the modern driver, has yet to drive over 200K in his 13 years behind the wheel, and has yet to not wreck a car that he owns. Ouch! :doh:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, today I had the wheels off the Maverick (yet again) and found that the drivers side Tone ring is split.

Guess what, in the UK you can't get the ring, Ford will only sell the complete front axle.

Thank goodness somebody invented Epoxy Resin adhesive........ :calvin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts