Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, some of you will be relieved to know that I've joined another forum, but they don't know about my ways as yet :angel: , but I felt it was the best way to proceed with the ultimate memorial to my second son, Alexander ( and a way to use up idle time whilst the weather is bad out there)

Here is the link to my project, and it will probably suprise you all, but wifey is helping me in this, and enjoying it as well, so it's worth it...............

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=37847

·
Registered
781 Posts
Interesting, I was very into model trains and was starting to get into station recreations when I "grew" out of it? I say good luck and have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The site software looks... er... um... familiar.

:D

·
Registered
611 Posts
Model trains are awesome (imo) My departed Uncle Art, had a two car garage and when he retired made it a one car garage. He had a double decker train set (Lionel) going. No, you do not need to get a life. You have a wife that enjoys what you are trying too do. You also have the Internet too help you out with your design. Go for it! Let us know what is going on with updates..... :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,585 Posts
Camus,

I saw your latest project and I am very impresed. :clap: :clap:

I do not think you need to get a life.

Keep us informed as to your progress.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence, must admit that I'm enjoying the challenge, esp the research part, which, amongst other things, has led me to discover a complete narrow gauge railway system that was abandoned in the late 1970's in that area, complete with steam loco's, waggons etc, just left to rot in the elements.......

Hmm, I wonder, whats the maximum towing limit for a Maverick, and would my trailer take the weight :shrug: :angel: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jpark said:
The site software looks... er... um... familiar.

:D
Yep, I noticed that straightaway :yes: :yes

But they have a problem in that the forum seems to crash a lot, the message says basically there are too many people trying to view at once, didn't realise that there was a limit for viewing a site :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I can set that limit here, too, but I have it set to unlimited. My Opteron 1220 can handle it.

Bring 'em on.

:calvin:

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I think that is a great idea. From the looks of those pictures it'll keep you busy long time

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JIMMYJOHN said:
I think that is a great idea. From the looks of those pictures it'll keep you busy long time
Thanks JIMMYJOHN, thats very kind of you, and yes, should keep me out of trouble for a while :angel: ;)

The amount of support for this project from the members of RMWeb has been great as well, even though I've only been a member there for a couple of weeks now, but the challenge of re creating an actual place ( we know very well) in minature has given the Camusdarrach family a new lease of life :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have a friend that is into model railroads. He calls his the NevaDunn Railway. As the name suggests, it's never done... :thumb: He started out with a 4' X 8" plywood track laid out in the attic and went from there. I think it takes up a 20 X 30' room in his basement now. He hand built everything, most from scratch, some from kits. He has been "working on the railroad" for almost 50 years, and from what he told me last. It never will be done. :yes:

Good luck on yours Camus! Remember to keep us updated!

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Hey you have a life it called FAMILY and that's the way it should be :kneel: :blush:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JIMMYJOHN said:
Hey you have a life it called FAMILY and that's the way it should be :kneel: :blush:
Never thought of it like that, but you're right, JiMMYJOHN :thumb:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just thought I'd update this, to show the progress so far...........

After drawing up 1/76 scale plans for the buildings, we have managed to create the following models, out of Plastic sheet, and DAS clay to create the stonework on the station building..

Station building under construction..............

Completed...............

Signal box under construction...

Completed (N.B. the real structure was demolished in the early 1990's

Fuel storage tanks (again the real one's were demolished in the early 1990's)

We have decided to create Mallaig as it was in the late 1980's, as that is when we first went there (in 1989), and the support from the members of the RMWebb forum has been fantastic, as has the support from people on this forum.... :thumb:

Any comments???? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
As long as you aren't leaving us, you can have fun with your new project. :D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
CAmus, I compared your building to images on wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallaig_railway_station
and I must say it looks like you've done an excellent rendition. I think especially you've really captured the coloring of the stonework very well. Excellent job. I'm curious, when you start putting in the trains, are you planning to have to steam powered "Jacobite " train? Sounds like a nice ride.

Congratulations on your new hobby.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
WOW! Way to Camus! I don't know that I would have the dexterity needed to work on sets so small. I get messy if it's smaller than 1/25... Good job! And if your not doing the Jacobite train, what train will you do?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts