Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 05 XLT escape the temp gauge is WAY below cold when the engine is off or just warming up. Then when it is warmed up to 160 degrees F. It stays on the C. I thought that even when the car was off or cold it should stop on the C and not go way below that.

Can somebody post some pics of their gauges for me so I can see how it should be?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Don't have a pic but my temp gauge tends to ride right in the middle all the time. I've never noticed it below the cold position when it's off but then I wouldn't pay much attention to it unless it looked out of place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm mine goes WAY WAY down below 9 oclock. I know I have something going on with maybe a temp sensor since my car says it is at about 160 degrees and it should be 190 or so.

What could be causing my temp gauge to act so weird?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Not a great picture but you get the idea from this:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Honestly... I think your gauge is broken.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Do you get heat from the heater? (I was wondering how you know the temp was 160 degrees, too).

The gauge clusters were entirely different on 2001-2004 models and 2005-2007 models, even though they look similar. The 2005-2007 models used stepper motors that were pretty reliable. Unless someone has changed the cluster, the lowest needle position on the 2005-2007 temp gauge should look like this (how's this for a close-up???):

BTW, if you have an early-production ("Job 1") 2005 Escape like I did, your fuel and temp gauges will be black, not white:

If you're not getting warm air from the heater, your thermostat needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol:

One of Don Cherry's classic bits on HNIC:

"Me and him were driving up to Toronto on the 401. It was a hot day... something like 20... 20 Cellsi... or is it Centi... aw, hell, it was 86. And we were really cruising along... almost 140... Kil... Kilom... aw, hell, we were going over 100MPH!"

:lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the temp because I was using a OBD scanner which shows the temp. My gauge goes way lower than that. To replace the gauge do I need to replace the whole thing? Including speed and rpm gauge (the whole gauge cluster)?

Also the thermostat was already replaced.

I noticed the car gets up to the right temp (195) when it is sitting in one (parked) but when driving it cools WAY WAY down to about 160 or so. then I get the CEL. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.