Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's a strange problem. I tried to access the forum and it appeared to be down. After trying several times over a day or two, I began to wonder if the site was actually down or not. I tried using both IE and Firefox, but neither browser would bring the site up. I just get a "newwork timeout" on Firefox and "The page cannot be displayed" on IE. This only happens on my home PC. Yes, I've cleared out the cookies and temporary Internet files.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
TomR, I had a similar problem about a month ago. I couldn't get in with either IE or Firefox, from two different machines at my house, but had no problems when connecting from my daughters house. I also had no problems at any other sites I tried. I finally isolated it to a problem with my router. Although I rebooted both the router and cable modem (these are separate devices at my house), I still had the problem. I finally removed the router and hooked our main house computer directly into the modem and I was able to connect with no problem. About 2 weeks later, I put the router back into the network and still no problem. I can only assume that there is a local dynamic hash table (IP route, ARP, ??) kept in the router that doesn't clear on a reboot, but does clear after a certain number of days.

Hope that helps.

-DaveK

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm not using a router on my home PC. It is connected directly to my cable modem. I've never seen anything like this before!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Try disconnecting your cable modem for 30 seconds then plugging it back in.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Weird, I can get to the site but tracert times out at a buffalo.edu server.

Code:
Tracing route to www.escape-city.com [67.99.163.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     1 ms     2 ms  10.10.10.1
  2    27 ms    10 ms    10 ms  10.112.32.1
  3    10 ms     7 ms    14 ms  66.185.91.89
  4    12 ms     9 ms    10 ms  gw01.baol.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.93.2
33]
  5    14 ms    16 ms    12 ms  so-5-1-0.gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [24.1
53.4.138]
  6    56 ms    57 ms    53 ms  pos-3-0.igw01.chfdrl.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [
66.185.81.1]
  7    54 ms    63 ms    58 ms  so-0-2-2.mpr1.ord2.us.above.net [64.124.11.25]
  8    55 ms    53 ms    54 ms  xe-1-1-0.er1.ord7.above.net [64.125.26.250]
  9    52 ms    52 ms    58 ms  above-level3.ord7.us.above.net [64.125.13.238]
 10    83 ms    54 ms    57 ms  ae-24-56.car4.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.101.168]

11    63 ms    57 ms    72 ms  te-4-1-73.rp0-5.chcgilca.Level3.net [4.68.63.14]

12    56 ms    55 ms    62 ms  ge-1-2-0.a1.chcg.broadwing.net [216.140.14.161]

13    61 ms    63 ms    59 ms  so-7-0-0.c1.gnwd.broadwing.net [216.140.15.137]

14    67 ms    63 ms    61 ms  p2-0-0.a0.cncn.broadwing.net [216.140.15.66]
 15    71 ms    87 ms    72 ms  67.98.177.170
 16    74 ms    72 ms    70 ms  rtr-internet9-89.cc.buffalo.edu [128.205.9.89]
 17   538 ms   363 ms   298 ms  l3sw-cc9-82.cc.buffalo.edu [128.205.9.82]
 18    77 ms    72 ms    72 ms  l3sw-cc9-17.cc.buffalo.edu [128.205.9.17]
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *     ^C
Tom, can you run a tracert to see if this is where you get dropped as well? Go to Start > Run and type in 'cmd' (no quotes). Type in 'tracert www.escape-city.com' and if it keeps timing out, you can press CTRL+C to stop it. Maximize the terminal window to see all the text, then right-click and select Mark. Draw a square around the tracert results and press Enter on your keyboard, which will copy it to your clipboard. You can email the text to yourself and post it here with
Code:
 tags when you get to your office.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'll take a look at my firewall settings tomorrow. This is the first time I've heard of what looks like a DNS problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squishy said:
Weird, I can get to the site but tracert times out at a buffalo.edu server.

Tom, can you run a tracert to see if this is where you get dropped as well? Go to Start > Run and type in 'cmd' (no quotes). Type in 'tracert http://www.escape-city.com' and if it keeps timing out, you can press CTRL+C to stop it. Maximize the terminal window to see all the text, then right-click and select Mark. Draw a square around the tracert results and press Enter on your keyboard, which will copy it to your clipboard. You can email the text to yourself and post it here with
Code:
 tags when you get to your office.[/quote]

I tried this from my home PC (which I'm using now), but it timed out immediately. Over and over again. The only reason I'm on the forum right now is because I was able to access the site using a proxy server (anonymouse.org) to get here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scooter Scott said:
Try disconnecting your cable modem for 30 seconds then plugging it back in.
I tried that, but it didn't help. I'm not experiencing any other issues at all other than with this particular site.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Does the site work again if you use just a public DNS server instead of a proxy?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, the only way I can possibly access the site from my home PC is by using a proxy server. If I close my browser and try again without using the proxy, the site appears to be down. I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Who is your ISP? Maybe they haven't updated their DNS lately.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I've never heard anyone say that they couldn't access the site, and it uses the same IP address and site name DNS as other sites that I'm running on the same network. One of those sites has international clients.

:shrug:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jpark said:
I've never heard anyone say that they couldn't access the site, and it uses the same IP address and site name DNS as other sites that I'm running on the same network. One of those sites has international clients.

:shrug:
Maybe I'm the only one.... but if there are others out there, they you might never know because they'll try to get here and never make it. It's really weird because I'm only having problems on my home PC. I have no problems at work and I visited my mother's house over the weekend and had no problem from her PC (she also has Cablevision NY as her ISP).

Could it possibly be an issue with my particular PC? I don't see how, but I have no other ideas at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Looks like I would blame the PC. Your network settings are all jacked up somehow or your firewall settings. Have you checked those on your router or anything? List this site as one of your "Allowed sites"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scooter Scott said:
Looks like I would blame the PC. Your network settings are all jacked up somehow or your firewall settings. Have you checked those on your router or anything? List this site as one of your "Allowed sites"
I tried changing the firewall settings to basically allow everything through.... didn't help. And no router....just connected directly to the cable modem. Like I said, every other site seems fine...only having problems with this one. Weird....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Squishy said:
When you do your tracert, what IP address shows up (if any)?
I'll have to check again when I get home. I saved a screen shot when I ran it yesterday.

It timed out immediately, so there might not even be an IP.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
If it timed out immediately then it is either your computer or router.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm... I still don't have a router ;)

But I did look at the screen shot again. The first line reads:

1 7ms 7ms 7ms 10.96.128.1

The second line reads:

2 8ms 8ms 8ms dstswr2-vlan-2.rh.nantny.cv.net 67.83.252.152

Then it times out on line 3.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts