Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cracked ABS tone ring on my 2007 Escape and am trying to get the right half shaft out so I can replace the tone ring.

1) Is it possible to push the half shaft out of the hub without removing the lower control pinch bolt? (Just hoping)

2) I cannot get the lower ball joint stud completely out of the knuckle pinch point. It moves freely up and down with a light pry, but goes to a hard stop once the grove in the stud is just visible at the bottom. In another thread someone said that a two jaw puller is necessary, but I can't see how this would be used with the half shaft still in place. I did spread the split pinch clamp slightly, but it didn't seem to help with the hard stop condition.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You must pull the lower control arm (LCA) ball joint out of the pinch clamp in order to remove the drive axle. Sorry.

Have you tried prying down on the LCA ?

I have had success using a small bottle jack placed under the brake rotor (using a piece of wood as a cushion between the jack and the rotor) and jacking up the rotor in order to pop the ball joint stud out of the pinch clamp. At the same time the jack is lifting the rotor a section of pipe can now be used to pry down on the LCA to help force the stud out of the pinch clamp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OP here. I finally got the lower ball joint loose. I was gun shy to lift on the rotor, so I ended up putting a bar under the bottom of the strut supported by a jack stand on either side of the bar. The lower control arm puts a side load on the ball joint and the grove that is in the center of the ball stud hangs up from this side load. The trick is to find a sweet spot where the side load is minimal and the stud can be pried out. I found that if I lowered the vehicle onto the jack stands about 1 inch from the full rebound (wheel hanging free) and turned the wheels to a straight ahead position, I was able to easily slide out the ball joint stud. Until I found that sweet spot, no amount of hammering , prying or cursing would allow it to slide out freely.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manic Mechanic said:
Did you ever get the tone ring replaced?

If so, did that solve your check engine light issue?

Thanks
Yes, I did replace the tone ring. I was not getting a check engine light, but was getting a wrench light on and off and also an ABS light briefly on a fast stop on dry pavement. Replacing the rear blend door actuator got rid of the wrench light and replacing the tone ring got rid of the ABS light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.