Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have a 2005 Ford Escape XLT with a car alarm that came on the truck from the dealer (bought it brand new).

For the last month and some change, my car alarm has been going off randomly. It's usually around 8:30 a.m. e.s.t., but my neighbors do say they hear it at all hours (big problemo!).

So, I take it to the nearest Ford service center, they say it's a bad hood sensor. So, I replace it.

Same thing keeps happening, I take it back to the service center.

They say it's the battery, causing low voltage, that's setting the alarm off. I replace it, the alarm is still going off randomly.

Take it back again 2 days ago, and they have no clue. They say the computer says all systems are ok. I left it there 2 days now (it's there tonight too), and of course it hasn't gone off.

My question is, anyone hear of this issue? I've read all the posts here I could about it, but didn't see any full resolutions. I've googled it etc, and it seems like this is a fairly common thing, although the Ford service center I went to say it wasn't in their ''system'' as a problem.

I'm stumped, the service center is too... any ideas?

I've heard 50/50 it could be the remote entry. The remote entry I use is at the dealers, but I have a spare that has never been used, still at the house, so it may be the culprit?

Any advice you can give would be BIG time appreciated, by me and my neighbors!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
If it happens at home, but nowhere else, check your immediate neigbouthood to see if one of your neighbours is a HAM radio operator... (look for big antennas, or personalized license plates with their call letters on their cars)

In a nutshell Ham operators often transmit very strong signals and that can (and often does) overload poorly shielded alarms and set them off. I've set off many alarms in mall parking lots with my 45 watts (2m) transmitter in my car, some home setups transmit several hundred watts.

Regular alarms around 8h30pm sounds like a time at which he may be chatting on his radio...

Pat

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Some aftermarket alarms also include mechanical motion sensors.

Some of those sensors are not exactly what I'd call reliable. If you have a motion sensor and don't really need it, disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Glad to see a member browsing the posts and searching for a resolution or ideas..Is there a sensitivity adjustment i wonder.On an aftermarket one i had it was on the steering column under dash but oem might be alot different.

When the wind blew too hard mine would go off.i adjusted the sensor back some and now ya have to hit car for it to go off..

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes, the OEM security shock can be adjusted. From the Ford Dealer install manual:

1. Open the driver door and turn the ignition key to the ON position.

2. Press and hold the override button until the horn honks.

3. Press and hold the override button until the horn honks four times. This is option bank 1.

4. Select the first option in option bank 1, which is the Lite Touch adjustment programming option.
Press the lock button on the trim switch (scroll down) to select first option in option bank 1. The horn will honk once.

5. NOTE: Make sure window is rolled down and shut all doors.
To test and adjust the current sensitivity level, start by tapping on the outer rim of the steering wheel with the palm of your hand, gradually increase the force of the taps until the horn honk is detected. this should be set to honk at a light to medium impact level.
Press the Lock button on the trim switch to decrease the sensitivity or press Unlock to increase the sensitivity.

6. When properly adjusted, open a door, press lock button on trim switch (scroll down) to select second option in option bank #1. The horn will honk twice to indicate second option in option bank #1. Shut door again.

7. NOTE: This is the Full Shock Adjustment Programming Option. When in this programming option the vehicle will honk the horn when an impact is detected.
NOTE: Only a High impact of open hand on steering wheel should cause a honk. Light to Medium impacts need to be adjusted down.
To test and adjust current sensitivity level: Start with a light tap on outer rim of steering wheel with open palm of hand. Gradually increase force of tap until horn honk is detected. This should be set to honk at a High impact level.
Press the Lock button on the trim switch to decrease the sensitivity or press Unlock to increase the sensitivity.

8. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

9. Arm the system and check the new settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alarm Going Off Randomly on Ford Escape

This is usually caused by fatigue of the spring on the micro switch contained in the door latch assembly. The spring acts as a follower, and follows the door latching mechanism which in turn presses against the switch to break the contacts causing the alarm to go off (interior lights, etc). Over time, due to poor quality material used to make the spring it fatigues and doesn't move away from the switch. With changes in temperature or vibration it can then move, opening the contacts in the switch. If you are competent enough you can simply remove the door latch and bend the spring away from the micro switch 0.0060" to 0.0080" to restore the mechanism back to working order. This does take some time and know how, but it beats the heck out of buying new latches from Ford (they don't sell just the switches). From the looks of the spring it could probably take re-bending several times before breaking. By then you car or truck will probably be very worn out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts