Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This drives me crazy.

Yesterday, I was at home depot to buy some screws to put my license plate on. I parked next to a nice '09 Escape Limited in that cream color I wish I had. On the back window was a large decal that said RED RIVER EDITION. In front, there was a front license plate (these aren't even required in my state) that said RED RIVER EDITION. The license plate frame said RED RIVER. There was a decal above the Escape logo that said RED RIVER.

...but Red River is a Dodge dealership. In face, upon closer look, the plate frame and logo decal said "RED RIVER DODGE CHRYSLER, HEBER SPRINGS ARKANSAS." I wouldn't have bought that vehicle, period. I can only imagine what the "Red River Edition" this dealership purports to offer is. Maybe it doesn't even exist. This dealership had to put FOUR advertisements on this poor car, one of which that involved drilling holes in the front bumper of the car and two of which are difficult-to-remove decals? And the person driving a Ford has to advertise for Dodge vehicles?

When I bought my Escape, it had a decal under the logo and a license plate frame that said NORTH POINT FORD. I replaced the license plate frame immediately, and luckily the magnet (like a sticker, but it comes off) I wanted to put on the car covers the dealer's decal anyway. But... what the hell? I paid you 18 grand for the car, and now I have to drive around advertising for your dealership? That's just offensive.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Haha that reminds me of when I first bought my Escape. Everytime I took it in to get serviced the dealership would always put on a damn license plate frame that said "Jacob's Twin Auto" and I always took it right back off and threw it away. They shortly went out of business...I bet they could have stayed afloat if they would have quit that damn advertising on everyone's car!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scooter Scott said:
Every time I took it in to get serviced the dealership would always put on a damn license plate frame that said "Jacob's Twin Auto" and I always took it right back off and threw it away.
HAHAHAHA, were you just leaving it with no frame and they were seeing "oh, he has no license plate frame, let's hook him up?" That's freaking hilarious. I now have a NORTH POINT FORD and NORTH POINT MAZDA (from my wife's car) matched pair for my collection.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Yup I live in Chicago at the time and in Illinois you have to have a front license plate. So I would always take the frame off and they would always put one back on...punks lol

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
20,781 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
In Britain, the law on reg plates is very, very strict.

They must be Reflective white to the front, and Reflective yellow to the rear.
FROM 2001 onwards...
Lettering has to correspond to the legal black typeface, and be 3" high, and display the BSAU number on the bottom right hand corner.

Also, whilst not legal as yet, but actively encouraged, is the supplying dealer details at the bottom of each plate, be it the manufacturer, or dealer.

Each plate number is assigned to the car when first rgistered, and has to show the area where it was registered (the first 2 letters, in my case YK), the approx year of registration (53 is leate 2003), and then 3 random letters to identify the individual vehicle.

You can, as Cafferys has done, replace the number with a "cherished" example, but only from what DVLA will allow (I.E. plates issued by them either in the past, or which correspond with their criteria).

My coach at work has a "cherished" number, LD 55 RFC, which is the nearest my employer could get to Leeds rugby football club (AKA LEEDS RHINO's), it's origional reg was YK 07 ZXB

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of my pet peeves! Not only do I throw away the dealer license plate frames, and threaten them with death so they won't stick some super-adhesive dealer sticker to the paintwork, I also take a razor blade and peel off the manufacturer stickers on the window glass, windshield, etc.

I hit the roof a few months ago when I opened the hood after an oil change at my repair shop, and found '5 qts' written in chalk on the top of the engine block!

The only sticker my Escape has on it is a POW/MIA 'You Are Not Forgotten', on the right side rear passenger window. That's for my grandfather and namesake, Lt. Julian Howard Leggett - MIA from the Pacific Theater of Operations, WWII.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
camusdarrach said:
In Britain, the law on reg plates is very, very strict.

They must be Reflective white to the front, and Reflective yellow to the rear.
FROM 2001 onwards...
Lettering has to correspond to the legal black typeface, and be 3" high, and display the BSAU number on the bottom right hand corner.

Also, whilst not legal as yet, but actively encouraged, is the supplying dealer details at the bottom of each plate, be it the manufacturer, or dealer.

Each plate number is assigned to the car when first rgistered, and has to show the area where it was registered (the first 2 letters, in my case YK), the approx year of registration (53 is leate 2003), and then 3 random letters to identify the individual vehicle.

You can, as Cafferys has done, replace the number with a "cherished" example, but only from what DVLA will allow (I.E. plates issued by them either in the past, or which correspond with their criteria).

My coach at work has a "cherished" number, LD 55 RFC, which is the nearest my employer could get to Leeds rugby football club (AKA LEEDS RHINO's), it's origional reg was YK 07 ZXB
A while back I was looking at MY52 MAV or CC52 MAV (CC are my initials). V6 MAV would have been cool. There are others that'd be great to have, but I'm sure CHR 1S is out of my price range!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Everytime we buy a new car (or used from a dealership), we refuse to sign any papers before they razor-off those ugly stickers. I am NOT advertising some crap dealership that charges too much anyways around town. I also think it looks tacky :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spark757 said:
Everytime we buy a new car (or used from a dealership), we refuse to sign any papers before they razor-off those ugly stickers. I am NOT advertising some crap dealership that charges too much anyways around town. I also think it looks tacky :lol:
We got lucky when we bought our Mazda3, it had come from another dealership and they hadn't been able to slap a decal on it yet. As for the Escape, I don't have any idea how to get a decal off the paint without screwing up the paint, so I covered it up with a caving magnet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spark757 said:
Take it back to the dealer and ask 'em to remove it
Tried that, got some story about it being easy to take off with goo-gone or something. It's hidden so I'm not likely to mess with it.

I don't think they were entirely thrilled with me; we bought the no-options base model, talked them right down to invoice (based on what Edmunds says) even though we qualified for basically every incentive Ford offered (2.9% financing, $1000 for owning a non-Ford vehicle, $500 because my wife is a full-time student), made them give me a set of floor mats from an XLT model (Ford doesn't even include them with the XLS) and took the car back a week later to make them clean the interior (the windows had, like, a nasty haze on them). Then we told them we wouldn't be using them for basic services like oil changes.

Then they emailed me 3 or 4 times with random nonsense ("just wanting to follow up," etc) and left 4 or 5 messages on my cellphone to the same effect... I called and told them to please stop calling me at work unless there was a problem I needed to address, and sent an email to the same effect suggesting that customer service was about quality and not quantity. They haven't bugged me since.

So, uh, I'm not their favorite.
:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.