Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to the Ford dealer today and I drove into there lot looking at the new Ford F150 pickups. Dont worry Im keeping the Escape. I looked in the corner of there lot and saw all the cars with the big yellow circle and a line ("c/c") drawn on the windshield. They were all the C4C cars that were going to be distroyed. And there were two Ford Escapes!!!!! They were in very good shape too! I couldnt believe that perfectly good Escapes were being distroyed. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
The same is happening over here, indeed dealerships in Leeds have scrapped the following classic cars due to the rules of the scrapping policy over here.

1971 Morris Minor saloon

1976 Triumph TR7

1978 Jaguar XJS

1980 Jaguar XJ6

1980 Ford Granada

1981 MGB

1982 Ford Fiesta

All the cars had a valid MOT, and were roadworthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Don't be too sad, I was getting my rear hatch replaced, and had to get a lift home. The 'kid' tech driving brought up C4C and I ask how's it going. Great he said, but tons of cars going to AUCTION as they aren't worth the cost of sprucing up & reselling! I said I thought the program stated crushing these cars, he just smiled....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,620 Posts
I think actually crushing the cars is a terrible idea, there's so much money to be made by salvaging parts off of them. I think they should just pull the heads, cut between cylinders walls with a Sawzall or something to render the block irrevokably destroyed, then give the whole thing to a junkyard to part out. As I understand it, they're not allowed to touch any engine components, only take a few interior components before it gets crushed. I'd rather see them parted out. Come on, how bad can a 2001 Escape be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It barely qualifies for cash for clunkers with a V6 and 4wd! I have gotten 26mpg on the hwy with mine. and average 20-21 mixed city and hwy driving. Here is a video featuring a Ford Escape. \

Watch this video,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp ... 0#32349330

Hey isnt there someone on here complaining about a white hatch that the paints flaking off. that escapes hatch in the video would be a perfect for you! Ohhhh wait... You cant use that hatch. Its going to be crushed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
This means that if you buy a Ford Escape, in XLT trim level or higher, keep it in good running condition, then in about 6 or 7 years it will be worth less than $4500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
ive never heard of a crush a car program, whats the deal with that? sounds like the opposite that the government shoves down our throats in regards to recycling. eh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,629 Posts
camusdarrach said:
The same is happening over here, indeed dealerships in Leeds have scrapped the following classic cars due to the rules of the scrapping policy over here.

1971 Morris Minor saloon

1976 Triumph TR7

1978 Jaguar XJS

1980 Jaguar XJ6

1980 Ford Granada

1981 MGB

1982 Ford Fiesta

## I would cringe, seeing a Jaguar and MGB being crushed. :shock: :cry:

All the cars had a valid MOT, and were roadworthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
CrashNburn said:
ive never heard of a crush a car program, whats the deal with that? sounds like the opposite that the government shoves down our throats in regards to recycling. eh
Over here, to qualify for the HM Government scrappage scheme, the vehicle has to be over 10 years old, owned by the person for a minimum of 12 months, and be in a roadworthy condition (i.e. have a valid MOT Certificate).

Upon scrapping, the Government gives £1000,00 and the manufacturer gives £1000.00 to £1500.00 off the price of a qualifiying new car, so you can, for eg get £2500.00 off the price of a new Fiat Panda.

Any cars traded in on this scheme have to go straight to the scrapyard to be crushed, without exception.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,620 Posts
Here's some details from Wikipedia (I know, not always the best source but it's verifiable):

The program requires the scrapping of the eligible trade-in vehicle and that the dealer disclose to the customer an estimate of the scrap value of the trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

To ensure that vehicles traded-in under "Cash For Clunkers" will not be resold by dealers, the program outlines a procedure for destructively disabling the engine (and thus also precluding the possibility that any mechanical engine components might be salvaged to be used in the repair of any other vehicles): The motor oil is drained and replaced with a sodium silicate solution, then the engine is started and run until the solution, becoming glass-like when heated, causes engine internals to abrade and ultimately seize.[34] In addition, the salvage or scrap facility which acquires the vehicle cannot sell any powertrain components from the scrap vehicle. This includes the disabled engine (most specifically the long block components), the transmission/transaxle, and in some cases the axle assemblies. The salvage or scrap facility can sell any other component from the scrap vehicle until they are ready to crush and/or shred the vehicle. The salvage or scrap facility has 180 days to ultimately crush and/or shred the vehicle.[citations needed]

The outlined procedure says that running the engine at 2,000 RPM "should disable the engine within a few minutes"; if not, then allow the engine to cool off before repeating the procedure. Hazards associated with the intentional overheating and destruction of the engine include rupturing radiator and hot water/steam, motor oil ejection, toxic fumes, and fire.

By completely disabling the engine, the CARS program avoids illegal schemes such as the one discovered in Germany, where authorities found that an estimated 50,000 scrapped vehicles have been exported to Africa and Eastern Europe,[35] In contrast with the U.S. program, the German program only requires dealers to drop off the scrapped vehicles at junkyards, thus allowing the illegal exports.[35]

Auto recyclers and dismantlers have criticized the program due to requirements that the engine is to be disabled to prevent re-use of the car. To auto recyclers, a car's engine is considered to be the most valuable part of a junked car. Some recyclers have refused to participate in the program as well due to the limited profit potential of junking a car brought in under CARS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System

And here's a video I found some someone destroying a traded-in Volvo, in a very non-ecologically correct way (you can hear the poor engine whining like some animal that's being put down):

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,629 Posts
Ajax said:
Here's some details from Wikipedia (I know, not always the best source but it's verifiable):

The program requires the scrapping of the eligible trade-in vehicle and that the dealer disclose to the customer an estimate of the scrap value of the trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

To ensure that vehicles traded-in under "Cash For Clunkers" will not be resold by dealers, the program outlines a procedure for destructively disabling the engine (and thus also precluding the possibility that any mechanical engine components might be salvaged to be used in the repair of any other vehicles): The motor oil is drained and replaced with a sodium silicate solution, then the engine is started and run until the solution, becoming glass-like when heated, causes engine internals to abrade and ultimately seize.[34] In addition, the salvage or scrap facility which acquires the vehicle cannot sell any powertrain components from the scrap vehicle. This includes the disabled engine (most specifically the long block components), the transmission/transaxle, and in some cases the axle assemblies. The salvage or scrap facility can sell any other component from the scrap vehicle until they are ready to crush and/or shred the vehicle. The salvage or scrap facility has 180 days to ultimately crush and/or shred the vehicle.[citations needed]

The outlined procedure says that running the engine at 2,000 RPM "should disable the engine within a few minutes"; if not, then allow the engine to cool off before repeating the procedure. Hazards associated with the intentional overheating and destruction of the engine include rupturing radiator and hot water/steam, motor oil ejection, toxic fumes, and fire.

By completely disabling the engine, the CARS program avoids illegal schemes such as the one discovered in Germany, where authorities found that an estimated 50,000 scrapped vehicles have been exported to Africa and Eastern Europe,[35] In contrast with the U.S. program, the German program only requires dealers to drop off the scrapped vehicles at junkyards, thus allowing the illegal exports.[35]

Auto recyclers and dismantlers have criticized the program due to requirements that the engine is to be disabled to prevent re-use of the car. To auto recyclers, a car's engine is considered to be the most valuable part of a junked car. Some recyclers have refused to participate in the program as well due to the limited profit potential of junking a car brought in under CARS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System

And here's a video I found some someone destroying a traded-in Volvo, in a very non-ecologically correct way (you can hear the poor engine whining like some animal that's being put down):

## Volvos are not my cup of tea.

But even so, i thought that quite sad. :confused: :( :cry:

It does not look that old.

What year would it be?.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
Not very old, less than ten years if I am guessing correctly.

Spinning bearing, gualling out the cylinders with the piston rings... :cry:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,620 Posts
Pretty sure it was an S40 sedan, second generation, 2004 model or newer with a turbo 5 cylinder. On the highway they get great gas mileage but in town it's comparable to a V6. Edmunds.com lists a 2004 S40 from $9,215 - $11,456.... :doh: I support the rebates but 5 yr old cars as "clunkers" and destroying them makes no sense at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Yea they are suppose to pour that liquid glass stuff into the engine until it is "rendered useless". Then crushed, theres actually quite a few parts allowed to be taken off, according to my local ford dealer they are allowed to remove tires, take out seats, and remove a lot of non drivetrain components...the problems is NOBODY wants too, they have to try to get the scrapped in good time if they want any decent deal on the metal value (with all the c4c cars coming in scrap prices are going to drop fast). If a dealership takes in 100 of c4c over a weekend it would take forever for the yard to pull out the good stuff on each one and then scrap. The times/rims have been very commonly removed.

This is only for a short period of time anyways and then when ppl ruin their cars WE get the parts again :drool:

But although I dont fully agree with the program like most of you, there is some good out of it, the most traded in vehicle is still the Explorer and one of the most bought vehicles is the Focus! thats an immense saving in gas mileage and a huge drop in dependency on foreign oil.

My local dealer also said that they have had a lot of explorer owners c4c-ing to get the new escapes!

I do agree that the liquid glass thing is a bit of an overkill but...you know how many ppl would be sneakin engines out before scraping lol government can only monitor so much :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Ajax said:
Pretty sure it was an S40 sedan, second generation, 2004 model or newer with a turbo 5 cylinder. On the highway they get great gas mileage but in town it's comparable to a V6. Edmunds.com lists a 2004 S40 from $9,215 - $11,456.... :doh: I support the rebates but 5 yr old cars as "clunkers" and destroying them makes no sense at all.
It is a late 90's early 2000's Volvo S80. You can tell by the headlights. It is not a second generation (2004.5 to current) S40, that is my other car :) Granted mine is a 2005 that does not have the turbo, but the 2.4 inline 5 has been averaging 28.15 mpg, in this fine Atlanta traffic. But you are right, add the turbo and drive it like it was meant to be driven and your mileage will suffer on practically all Volvos.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top