Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I dropped 4 quarts of my transmission fluid and replaced with Castrol DEX/MERC "for older Fords" I have changed fluid a couple times before, but this time I noticed a huge difference when it shifted. I have a 2004 and the transmission requires Mercon fluid. It was way smoother when it shifted, especially at the lower gears. I have always used ford brand "mercon V / mercon." that says you can use it with both. But never felt such a difference with fluid changes. This stuff is awesome.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So has anyone else had any good experiences with using the castrol product. I'm approaching my next oil change 1500miles to go (every 5000 miles for me) and Im gonna do another 4quart drop Ill let you guys know if it makes any differences again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I did a complete flush fill with Castrol Mercon V last summer in my 02, 8000 miles ago. No difference in feel as it always shifted nice. Happy knowing no problems and fresh fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did the fluid exchange today. Used 12 quarts. Very, very easy to do. I have a first to second gear slip when the transmission is cold. It's still there after the fluid change. I need to drive it more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update!

Still driving with the castrol merc v. Still have the slip from a start and as it shifts from 1st to second gear. I do a drain and refill every other oil change. Just turned 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think ttag with the escape the key is to keep up with the fluid change before any problems show up. I've been doing it for a while now so my transmission shifts great. Just keep up with you fluid changes and you'll go beyond 200k with no probs. I hope.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've been thinking of changing to the Castrol tranny fluid, this thread just confirmed it. Thanks! I'm gonna switch to Castrol synthetic oil soon, may do the tranny fluid then...we'll see. Main things on the agenda for '11 is change over to synthetic, change tranny fluid and change radiator fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts