Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a Magnaflow Cat Back for my 2008 V6 LTD Escape. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has added this system to their Escapes, and if so, what kind of differences you may have noticed, ie: power, fuel mileage, noise? I dont want mine to sound like a coffee can muffler.. lol.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
That sounds like an excellent mod! I haven't added an exhaust myself but it is something that I have always thought about doing. Will you be installing this yourself? If so please provide a nice detailed writeup with pictures as you are doing it! This would help out a lot of other members.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Mind me asking how much you ended up paying for it?

·
Registered
361 Posts
i haven't heard Magnaflow exhaust, but i do love :heart: the 40 series Flowmaster i have... sounds mean nice and deep..

if you want ill try to make some vids soon...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just installed the Magnaflow last Night.
I ordered my system from 'The Parts Source' and paid $455.00, it took about 4 weeks for them to order and get it in.

Only took two hours, including an oil change at the same time.

Sorry I didnt take any pictures, but this system is sooooo EASY to install.

I started by disconnecting the battery to allow the computer to reset with the new exhaust.

Next... I unbolted the two bolts connecting the factory muffler to the tail pipe.

.... I used a spray lubricant on the factory rubber exhaust hangers, and pryed the old system from the hangars, ( be careful not to damage the hangars, you will need them for the new system.)

.... Then, two bolts on the clamp at the front of the muffler, pull the muffler off, and slide the new one on using the new clamp supplied in the kit. (dont tighten the bolts.)

.... Next... I found that the new tail pipe would not go over the rear axle.. the new pipe was too big of diameter to simply slide in like the old one came out... so I jacked up the back end of the Escape, blocked it. and the new pipe slid right in place. Again, I used a spray lubricant on the hangars to allow the metal hangar to slide into the rubber fitting.

..... attach the tail pipe to the muffler.. check to make sure the new pipe does not come into contact with any thing. Once I was sure that it was in place. I tightened the 4 nuts on the two clamps, removed the jack stands. It's that simple.

If you have an older Escape, I would suggest using a liquid spray on the old clamps several times a few days prior to trying to remove the old rusted bolts. Mine only had 15,000 miles, and they were starting to rust, so an older Escape could be a challenge removing the old clamps.

The Exhaust note is good, It got rid of the factory LEAF BLOWER noise and now is just a nice deep mellow sound at slow speed. At higher speeds, I dont really hear it at all inside.

It is too soon to tell if it makes any difference in fuel mileage or power. I'm towing my trailer on a 300 mile trip next week and hope to see difference then.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
If you can I would like to see some pics of it installed :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Imho the cat back will probably only net an interesting exhaust note. I think the cats are probably more restrictive than anything the muffler could do for the exhaust. Never the less. Let's see, it could. It did change the melody of the exhaust! ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I am currently in a Best Offer war with a seller on Ebay....he is selling the system for $408 Buy It Now or Best Offer...of course I low balled him to $325 lol I came up to $350 and told him I'm not going any higher. I hope he accepts cuz I have a lot of bills coming up and I don't want to go more than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have only drove about 60 miles since installing the exhaust, but seem to have increased fuel mileage about 2 MPG, I will be doing a longer trip next week, and will post my results after that.

I cant seem to get my photo's attached to this post. So here is a link to to the photo's, let me know if they work or not.

http://photos.globetrotter.net/albums/a ... ram=502679

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Nice! And thanks for the write up! If this guy accepts my offer I should have mine on by next week!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Just purchased my exhaust on ebay. $375 shipped :)

Can't wait till it comes in :woohoo:

·
Registered
361 Posts
i made some vidz... but i cant find my USB for my camera :wall: :cuss: :censor: ...
have you received your exhaust yet... i wonder how it sounds...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
It still hasn't even shipped! I've been calling/emailing but the guy just wont answer...grrr

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Yup transaction has been completed...his listing says he ships same day or next day (depending on when the order is placed I'm assuming)....we are now on day 4....I'm getting a little upset but I'm not that mad yet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
but im at work right now... i think my mom lost it :censor: :cuss: :wall:
on the way home im going to stop at best buy and get the usb...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Good news! Finally got ahold of someone there. He told me that the order went through fine. He was out of stock in his inventory but said that he ordered it and it should have shipped directly from his reseller on Tuesday or Wednesday. he said that they have recently switched all of their systems over to FedEx from UPS and it has caused some delays in getting the tracking info...but it should be here either today or tomorrow I am assuming!!! :yahoo:

1 - 20 of 129 Posts