Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 6 CD factory radio. I cannot insert or remove any CD's and I get a message every time I turn the radio on that says "CD Error". Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so how did you fix it? My Escape is a 2008 XLT 4WD, v6, auto. I live in Cancun Mexico and the Ford dealer here is a joke. His so called mechanics have no training, no tools, and aren't as good a most backyard do it yourselfers. I bought it new in the Chicago area so it is an American spec Ford.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Unfortunately, these radios are plagued with this problem. My CD player works fine, but the volume has a mind of it's own. Getting that message probably means that it's taken a.....it's broken. Your best hope for it is to get the stuck CD's out without damaging them and buy aftermarket. Or you could take it in and have them replace it. Chances are you'll lose your CD's in the process. Sorry dude, you might be stuck. Just for S&G, you could pull the fuse on the panel to the radio and plug it back in and see if it does anything.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I get this error when my CD changer gets hot (e.g. - I'm playing a lot of CD's or the interior of the Escape gets very hot). I've been lucky that the CD usually gets jammed in the slot so I can see it and pull it out with tweezers.

Some things I've learned and practice when it comes to my CD changer:
- Don't use home made disks with sticker labels... they are almost guaranteed to get stuck
- Don't use CD's you can print directly on... they tend to get stuck often as well
- LightScribe disks work like factory CD's
- Dip tweezers in rubber cement before using them to pull out the cd
Less scratches & more grip. Just be careful not to scrape the coating of cement off.
I use a screwdriver to hold the door open
- Have the disks I want in the changer before a long trip so I don't have to change them
and risk a jam...

I know this doesn't help you much but maybe it will help someone else...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having a similar problem, but maybe (?) a more specific error code...

'01 Tribute, 6 CD changer...

Not used often, played thru disk 1 - switched to indicator flashing on disk 2, nothing happened... I tried to forward to next disk received the error "E 01" in the display window.

Only unusual circumstance is the high for the day is 7*f (Chicago area - Tom, I'm envious...)

I was able to eject the CD, unit went on to disk 3, same thing - didn't play, I tried to advance to next disk, error code, able to eject. This continued thru the rest of the 6 disks...

Any suggestions?

-bogie

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
SO theres a CD stuck in there now? Yeah the past Escapes have had problems, but the 08's have the new Sanyo in dash 6 disc cd player and I have never heard of them having issues. If you are a handy man I would take the stereo out and see if you can see any defficencies and if there is a stuck cd try to take it out. I understand its a 6 dics and that one disc probably is at the bottom to be played. But if your lucky its at the top. Maybe all it takes is alittle wiggle for it to get loose? Also, while plugged in try removing the cd and pressing the eject button. I had to do this with tweezers in my old ranger single disc player and it worked after I took it out. I heard the motor start up and pretend it ejected the cd, when in fact I had yanked the stuck CD out.

Can you get the CD's to move from disc 1 to disc 4? Try buttom mashing if the buttons work in CD mode and try ejecting and moving cds around.

GOOD LUCK

Chicagotom said:
I have the 6 CD factory radio. I cannot insert or remove any CD's and I get a message every time I turn the radio on that says "CD Error". Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so how did you fix it? My Escape is a 2008 XLT 4WD, v6, auto. I live in Cancun Mexico and the Ford dealer here is a joke. His so called mechanics have no training, no tools, and aren't as good a most backyard do it yourselfers. I bought it new in the Chicago area so it is an American spec Ford.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a similar problem with my changer - it got stuck trying to switch from one disc to another. I couldn't eject any of them. I tried the fuse trick, but that didn't work for me. What did work was disconnecting the battery. After doing that, I was able to eject he CDs. I now treat it as a 1-disc player, to try and prevent it from happening again...

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
LEO_Escape said:
My CD player works fine, but the volume has a mind of it's own.
My radio's volume started acting odd about 2 months ago when we started getting temps below freezing. I thought I was going nuts :tease: when I tried turning the volume down and it got louder. Took me 3 tries before I realized my hand was working properly and the radio wasn't...

·
Registered
17 Posts
bogiediver said:
Having a similar problem, but maybe (?) a more specific error code...

'01 Tribute, 6 CD changer...

Not used often, played thru disk 1 - switched to indicator flashing on disk 2, nothing happened... I tried to forward to next disk received the error "E 01" in the display window.

Only unusual circumstance is the high for the day is 7*f (Chicago area - Tom, I'm envious...)

I was able to eject the CD, unit went on to disk 3, same thing - didn't play, I tried to advance to next disk, error code, able to eject. This continued thru the rest of the 6 disks...

Any suggestions?

-bogie
Well, for whatever it's worth... mine seems to have self corrected... I added 1 CD at a time, it started to play each, hit add - repeated thru 6 CDs and all play with no issue now...

Chalking it up to the temperature...

-bogie

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My single disc cd oem player is doing this on my 2005 xls. At first I could just turn off the radio and try and it would work, but now its just eject erorring every time. Can't even find a oem replacement on rockauto so ugh...time to drop money on the escape now :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.