Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, new to the forums :yahoo: . Does anyone know what this cut out is for? I cut out a piece of wood that slides down into it. Furthered that by making a laptop mount for an eee pc 901, out of wood, not exactly pretty :D . However, I was wondering if someone makes something like this already, saaaaaaay... I dunno, made out something a little sturdier?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Miracle Man said:
Sorry, new to the forums :yahoo: . Does anyone know what this cut out is for? I cut out a piece of wood that slides down into it. Furthered that by making a laptop mount for an eee pc 901, out of wood, not exactly pretty :D . However, I was wondering if someone makes something like this already, saaaaaaay... I dunno, made out something a little sturdier?
The cutout is for the little box that fits inside the console. Not very useful if anybody is sitting in the passenger seat, but that is what it is for.

There is another one on the rear of the console, facing the rear seats.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
It's useful when you never have any passengers... :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some googling (with better terminology), I came across small "bins" that hold small objects, even came across a small trash bin that connects to the one on back. I guess these "cut outs" are called dovetail mounts. Has anyone seen a phone/gps/laptop mount that uses the one on the passenger side? If not, seems like it would be a good idea.

Kurochan: Thanks for letting me know what it was even for, I was absolutely clueless! I think I'm going to try to make one out of an extra console box. Dremmel it up a bit, add some connecting pieces, and pray to God it works.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've been looking for some sort of adapter that would fit in there for my iphone holder... but no luck up to now... I may have to make one myself out of fiber glass.

Pat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lord Velveeta said:
I've been looking for some sort of adapter that would fit in there for my iphone holder... but no luck up to now... I may have to make one myself out of fiber glass.

Pat
Lord V? How would you go about doing something like that? Would you use short-strand fiberglass? Do you coat the console with some oily substance so the fiberglass won't stick? Or would the fiberglass stick at all? Sorry, I'm not a fiberglass connoisseur.

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Miracle Man said:
Lord V? How would you go about doing something like that? Would you use short-strand fiberglass? Do you coat the console with some oily substance so the fiberglass won't stick? Or would the fiberglass stick at all? Sorry, I'm not a fiberglass connoisseur.
I would not put anything on the consoles "female" dovetail, that has a high probability of ruining the finish.

I would probably use the "male" dovetail on the little tray in the armrest as a model and either make a slightly larger copy from fiber glass and then use my dremel to "sculpt" it down to size... or the other option I was thinking was making a plaster cast of the "male" dovetail, and then simply casting the new one from resin or even maybe something like a JB Weld type epoxy.

When I have some free time to mess with that I'll probably take photos of the process and post it as an instructable.

Pat

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
A little spendy I guess, but if you plan to use a laptop much (or if your like me and plan on planning on using it a lot but don't really) the universal laptop mounts will hold it a lot more securely than the dovetail arrangement.

This is my setup:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
HA! I thought that dovetail mount for the little box was a great idea :thumb: when we bought our Tribute. In reality, it's not much use to us at all :bag: . As for laptop mount, I'd think that would be a car burglar magnet. :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jonas1022 said:
HA! I thought that dovetail mount for the little box was a great idea :thumb: when we bought our Tribute. In reality, it's not much use to us at all :bag: . As for laptop mount, I'd think that would be a car burglar magnet. :shock:
I was going with the idea that it would be easy to remove the mount and hide behind the passenger seat. Other more professional mounting kits would really be visible. Plus, for me at least, the most expensive thing in my car is the eeepc 901, and I always take it with me, or hide it. If it ever were stolen, I wouldn't be heartbroken. :cry:

Lord V - I do like the sound of the plaster cast. I think I might try that out as well.

Airmapper - Those professional mounts get a little pricy, and a little too in the way for my taste, but i do like the way the Ram mount looks and operates.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It isn't necessarily what is taken, it's what is broken in the process. Or maybe even more to the point, what it costs to repair what some crackhead/druggie/nutcase looser has done to your Escape. Been there, done that and have the war wounds to prove it. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
megascape said:
What do you guys do with the computer in the ride? Or is it just to have it if needed?
That and, to run Centerfuse, and I'm an information security analyst, so sometimes I do wireless assessments from the car, oh yeah, and to browse the Internet at red lights during rush hour :D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
megascape said:
What do you guys do with the computer in the ride? Or is it just to have it if needed?
I use it as a GPS unit usually, I plug in a GPS using the USB port, and have map software that then can route and display mapping. (Including voice directions thru the speakers or my FM transmitter into Escape's audio.) It has many more sophisticated functions than a normal GPS, not to mention the 10" (or 14" if I'm packing my notebook) screen. I also use it for Geocaching, having moving map displaying all the cache locations with more information on them a click away.

Another in vehicle function I have available is a USB OBDII cable I can plug into the vehicles data port and observe the real time engine data.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use that dovetail mount to mount my CB radio, It's not the one on the side of the console but it works quite well for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts