Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a hurdle, but I'll tell you the idea of this 'mod'. Pre-08 Escapes have a ceiling dome light with two additional map lights. 08+ Escapes have only the rear light. I thought, well, hey, how hard could it be to switch the assembly to get three lights?

$60 later, I have a ceiling dome light assembly from a pre-08 Escape.

Twenty minutes later, I discover that the connections into the assembly are different. The pre-08 connector is square (and with two metal connectors) and the post-08 connector is rectangular (and with what looks like three connectors). The dealership where I bought the part said to swing by and see if they will do anything for me to make it work.

They also got me a piece in the wrong color, but I'm not too stressed out about it.

Here's a few pictures:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
$26 OEM connector ordered, updates next week.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe the 3 wires would be ground, battery and lighting. That way you can select the mode (on, off, door) as I see the pic has the switch. You would probably just have to run a battery wire.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man, I think those screenshots confused me more. Unless it's telling me that I'm going to be in trouble because instead of one-in, one-out, it's one-in, two-out. I picked up the connector yesterday and it's only a one-in, one-out configuration. The dealership told me it would be $140 in labor for wiring, and I think I am understanding why, other than the $120/hour dealership labor rate.

Do you have, like, a 2005 Escape diagram to compare to?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Here are the wiring diagrams for a 2007 E/M/T, and it looks like you have the assembly from an E/M/T without the factory moonroof, since the back of the assembly housing is the ground connection.

But this brings up another problem. The 2005-2007 models had an interior lamp feed that supplied a GROUND-side signal, not a +12V signal when active. Lemme think about this for a minute, then I'll tell you how you need to connect it.

With a factory moonroof, 2005-2007:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... onroof.jpg

Without a factory moonroof, 2005-2007:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... terior.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the part significantly different with and without the moonroof? I didn't realize it made that big of a difference. But, please, let me know, because I would like to get this mod done eventually. :D

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Ean-The-Escape said:
This thread makes my brain hurt haha :bang: :lol: :D
:D

Tang said:
Is the part significantly different with and without the moonroof? I didn't realize it made that big of a difference. But, please, let me know, because I would like to get this mod done eventually. :D
It looks like you have the 2005-2007 dome lamp from an E/M/T without the moonroof, since it has only two connections and uses the housing plate as a ground.

Here's the problem: the housing plate cannot be used as the ground on a 2008+ E/M/T. To use this lamp on a 2008+, the ground plate needs to be the +12V (battery saver) connection. 2005-2007 is the opposite of 2008+. So when you mount this in the roof, do not let any metal part of the housing contact any metal in the roof.

Please take a picture of the connector when you get it, and, if you can, take some detailed pictures of the lamp assembly and the traces so that I can see how the housing connections are wired. You'll need to solder a wire to the area that was the ground connection, too.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took some pictures, too lazy to upload right now. lol

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Closer pics of the assembly and also the connector.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Tang said:
Closer pics of the assembly and also the connector.
i know its almost a yr old thread, but Tang did you do this and does it work? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
HA! I thought I was the only one that tried this! I ran into a hurdle too... but of a different sort, related to the stamping differences in the roof crossbeams.

Tang said:
"Pre-08 Escapes have a ceiling dome light with two additional map lights. 08+ Escapes have only the rear light."
Not quite true. I recently had two 2011 XLT Escapes in my driveway simultaneously. One had 3 lights in the center dome. The other had only one light in the center dome. The difference was that the single light version had the Sun and Sync package (moonroof). The three light version did not. So ordering a pre-2008 dome light is NOT required to get a 3 light center dome fixture. However...

The 2011 fixture with three lights only had two switches for the map lights, and did not include the third switch for independent off-door-on control of the main (non map) center light that the pre-2008 fixture that you ordered had. However...

The wiring plug for the three light and single light fixtures from the 2011 was plug and play interchangable, and fully operative. In otherwords, I was able to remove the 3 light and single light center dome fixtures from both 2011 vehicles, swap them, plug them in to the three wire circuit connector, and both operated with zero wiring modification. However...

The 3 lamp fixture housing is different than the 1 lamp fixture housing. The lenses interchange, and the perimeter shape is identical, but the depth encroachment into the ceiling cavity is deeper on the independently switched map light half of the 3 lamp fixture. This wouldn't normally be a problem, as that increase of depth is no deeper than the center lamp half of either fixture, however...

The crossbars in the ceiling are stamped differently between the moonroof version and the non moonroof version, such that the extra depth of the forward half of the 3 lamp fixture does not nest into the ceiling cavity of the headliner, due to interference with the reinforcement shape of the moonroof version crossbar.

I'm glad I discovered this before ordering a 3 lamp fixture to actually swap out permanently.

Tang said:
I thought, well, hey, how hard could it be to switch the assembly to get three lights?
Ha! Again, I thought the same thing.

60 minutes of fiddling and wiggling later, I discovered too hard. And not worth cutting or bending anything that would weaken the roof or later short out the fixture. However...

For those without a sunroof, that have an 08 up Escape with only a single center dome light, you might be able to order a 2011 fixture with 3 lamps and two switches, and it might plug and play. Mine did. I just couldn't stuff it flush into the headliner due to my moonroof cross beam stamping. If you don't have a moonroof, it might not be hard at all!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I never resolved this. I ended up passing the light to someone with a 2005 Limited.

So it looks like all I need to do is order the right model year assembly - that is, one from a 2008 or later Escape. I had bought a 2001-07 Escape assembly. One thing is for sure: the pre-08 Escapes ground right into the ceiling, and the 08-current models use a plug with a third prong that helps it ground at a different location.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yup. If you don't have a moonroof, a 3 lamp module with two map light switches from a 2011 vehicle without a moonroof will plug directly into the 3 conductor wiring harness that seems to exist in all 2011 XLT vehicles, moonroof or not.

If your 2009 wiring is the same as 2011 wiring, then it should work with no wiring/ground issues.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
XLT2011 said:
Yup. If you don't have a moonroof, a 3 lamp module with two map light switches from a 2011 vehicle without a moonroof will plug directly into the 3 conductor wiring harness that seems to exist in all 2011 XLT vehicles, moonroof or not.

If your 2009 wiring is the same as 2011 wiring, then it should work with no wiring/ground issues.
Hang on - in all of the 09 and later Escapes that I've seen without moonroofs (my 2010 included), the situation is like the OP describes - two sunglass holders behind the interior rear-view mirror, and only the one interior light that you have to reach back from the driver's seat to access (and it's not a map light). XLT, are you saying that there are some non-sunroof Escapes newer than 2008 that have a map light assembly in place of one or more of the sunglass holders?

·
Registered
27 Posts
slavrenz said:
XLT2011 said:

Hang on - in all of the 09 and later Escapes that I've seen without moonroofs (my 2010 included), the situation is like the OP describes - two sunglass holders behind the interior rear-view mirror, and only the one interior light that you have to reach back from the driver's seat to access (and it's not a map light). XLT, are you saying that there are some non-sunroof Escapes newer than 2008 that have a map light assembly in place of one or more of the sunglass holders?
The way I understand it is that in the 2008+ Escapes without a sunroof, there is factory wiring in place for the map lights that come with the sunroof models. So if I'm understanding it correctly, just get an 08+ map light assembly from a sunroof model and plug it in where your current sunglass holders are? I'd love to do this mod b/c I hate not having map lights.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
My base model 08 hybrid has map lights built into the dome light assembly, and no "sunglass holder" by the rearview mirror. Could you perhaps just switch out the dome light for one from the hybrid model?

·
Registered
63 Posts
disregard this post i just saw this post, i know its old. but can anyone help, i have a '10 with a sunroof, but would like to put in the dome light that has the "map lights" in it (so the kids will stop asking me to turn on dome light) would it be a pre wired bundle that includes a constant power to dome light area?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts