Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 escape,the gauge cluster went dark, the 4 round gauges speedo, tach, etc. all the warning lights are functional and the shift/odometer light works fine. can all four lights burn out at the same time? how hard is it to change the bulbs? any help will be appr.dbsbaker2009

E-C ROOKIE

Private message

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I'm not sure on the likelihood of all four bulbs burning out at the same time. You might have a deeper electrical problem, but then those four bulbs are always on at the same time and burn for the same number of hours, and headlight bulbs do seem to burn out within weeks of each other.

To replace them, first remove the instrument cluster. You will see some grey and some black plastic 'nubs' on the back of the circuit board, round with a thick spade-like protrusion. Those are the bulb-holders, and twist counter-clockwise to remove.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's, the mechanic I talked to at the dealership said if there's only 1 or 2 burned out and you don't replace them all you will be very soon. He has had people come back the next day to get the one's that were not replaced fixed. I'm going to check the 5 amp illumination fuse as I think I remenber the heater and air control knobs having a light on the directional slot of the knob? also isn't the rear defrost switch and the hazard switch supposed to be illuminated? If the fuse is good I will try replacing the bulbs.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
My dealership replaced the bulbs, in the gauge panel about a year ago. I noticed when they stuff up, the effect during night time driving is irritating.

When ever a fuse or globe malfunctions, i have it attended to early as possible. Me is a fuss pot, and i just enjoy things going to plan. When there is a car issue, i just have to nip it in the bud. Problem is rectified, and means it doesn't complicate to something else. ' Path of least resistance ' is what i try to achieve.

Inherited some things from my parents. We just can't tolerate things being awkward.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
dbsbaker2009 said:
Thank's, the mechanic I talked to at the dealership said if there's only 1 or 2 burned out and you don't replace them all you will be very soon. He has had people come back the next day to get the one's that were not replaced fixed. I'm going to check the 5 amp illumination fuse as I think I remenber the heater and air control knobs having a light on the directional slot of the knob? also isn't the rear defrost switch and the hazard switch supposed to be illuminated? If the fuse is good I will try replacing the bulbs.
Another familiar name from the past!!! Welcome to E-C!

I just took a look at the wiring diagrams for an '04. You're right: the hazard and rear defrost switches are also illuminated. In fact, here's a list of what should be illuminated by the dimmable lighting circuit when the headlights or parking lights are on:

* Cluster gauges
* Fog lamp switch
* Parking Aid switch
* Rear Window Defroster switch
* Climate controls
* Hazard Flasher switch
* 4WD switch
* Audio system

Power window, power lock, and moonroof switches are powered by the Accessory Delay circuit.

The cluster actually contains the circuit that controls dimming, then it's fed to the other controls by a LIGHT BLUE with RED STRIPE wire. And you're right about the fuse: it's a 5A fuse at location F2.18 in the kick-panel fusebox. That circuit is then protected by another 15A fuse at location F2.15, so take a look at that fuse as well. If that fuse is blown, the parking, tail, and license lamps also won't work.

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... ghting.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's for the info, I'm sure that's it. I haven't even looked at it in the last 2 days as it quit raining finaly and am riding the "V- Star 1300 everywhere I go. When I get back from the lake Sunday it will be fuse pulling time! :party:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

Glad to help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts