Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just about to give up on this now, it seemed everything on my car is overtightened. i usually DIY just about anything on the car but this is annoying me. I hate to bring it to a mechanic just to pay him $100 bucks to change my shocks because I can't loosen a nut!

after tearing away all the trim in the cargo area, I managed to loosen the top mounting nut for the rear left shock but not the right, I was starting to strip the metal so I stopped. even for the left shock i had to get a fren to hold the cylinder at the bottom and I undo the nut from the top. the flat part of the screw doesn't seem to be very suitable for a wrench or pliers, I just end up rounding off the edges.

no luck with the holding nut at the bottom either, tried with a wrench and hit it really hard with a hammer but it just seems to be stuck.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You could try heating the nut, and holding a wax candle to the nut/bolt interface. The wax will wick into the threads, which will enable you to loosen the nut easier.

Btw, for some reason I read the topic of your post, and the first thing that came to my mind was "that's what she said". Lol :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So when I changed mine I had the same problem on the passenger side. So I just cut the shock off with my reciprocating saw. I cut it right through the middle of the two nuts and then the nut that was left just turned right off. Then when you install the new shock just save the mounting washer that was between the nuts and the top bushing. I saved it so I could just double up the washer bushings to make the bushings more snug. By doing this you'll help eliminate the squeak that can develop if the bushings shift. This is a common problem and I found that this helped it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
you can spray break -a-way on the hardware, let it sit for about 15 to 30 minutes and the you should have luck w removale. When you put the new hardware on you can also rub some never seize on the threads. There are a lot of eco-friendly sprays that they sell at the stores, as lubricants for nuts and bolts unfortunately they are junk. MARC corp products is what we use on the boats, ferry's and ships and it is a great product.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would follow megascape's suggestion.
Tapping with a hammer before applying the wrench might also help.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Im really good at removing nuts and after adding PB Blaster I couldn't get the nuts off. So I agree that you should try some penetrating lube, if that doesnt work just cut the thing, its gonna end up in the trash anyway. Ohh and I would wear some leather gloves if you like your knuckles. The area around the shock support is covered in sharp sheet metal. :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I cut mine off with a grinder, it took about 5 seconds per side. I tired the PB Blaster and let them sit, got impatient, and then cut them off. It was not worth the headache of trying to get them off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow you guys really hate your nuts :)

really appreciate all the helpful comments, but i don't have a cutter, so i'll have to try spraying something or heating it and see how that goes!

·
Registered
482 Posts
heat....hammer tap....penetrating oil....repeat. :thumb:

Sometimes, for really stubborn nuts, I soak in penetrating oil overnight.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
...or you can stop at any tire shop and ask the guy there to loosen these bolts with the pneumatic drill.A couple of dollars tip saves all the frustration.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You could also use some C4. It goes a long way. It will definitely blow your nuts loose :lol: Disclaimer: Do not attempt this unless you want to blow off the side of your Escape.

·
Registered
482 Posts
"there is not a problem in the world that cant be solved without the proper application of explosives"

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
"there is not a problem in the world that cant be solved without the proper application of explosives"

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
+1000!!! :beer:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your help on this thread guys, I bought my escape to a mechanic to get my shocks changed a few days ago. anymore of crawling under the car for that nut will really make me want to blow up my escape!

anyway they were nice enough to charge me half the usual price for the labour, as I already had all the trim out for them. car is driving much smoother now!

cheers :thumb:

P.S: tip/experience from army training: when setting a charge, you always think you haven't put enough explosives, but thats usually not true.

and bomb squads are usually pretty cool guys, but if you see them running away you damn well run too. :shock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts