Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you change the fuel filter on the 2008 escape? I can get the clips off, but the hoses do not want to seem to come off the filter. Any tricks or am I missing a step?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unless you already have 85,000 miles on your Escape there should be no reason to change the fuel filter. But alas you need a special fuel line release tool. The lines are held on by a circular spring the needs to be expanded. I think you can get the tool at NAPA or Sears.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
85,000 miles? These aren't magic filters. Mine gets done every 15,500 miles; Ford says 30,000 miles outside of severe service.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My '05 does not require a tool but my 2000 Expedition did, did Ford change this back to the internal-spring type?

·
Registered
191 Posts
escaperun44 said:
How do you change the fuel filter on the 2008 escape? I can get the clips off, but the hoses do not want to seem to come off the filter. Any tricks or am I missing a step?
Be sure to relieve the fuel pressure prior to removing the filter.
I would guess it's done the same as on the earlier models: locate the fuel pump relay; start the engine then remove the relay; the car will run a little then stall; after the car stalls, try to start it once or twice to make sure the fuel pressure has been released; remove the filter.

It helps to elevate the vehicle. I drive mine up onto landscaping pavers - a couple of inches makes a difference in gaining access to the filter. Also, do not force, damage or break the clips - remove them correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, thanks for the insight. looks like i'll grab the tool when i'm out. I've done my 2006 (easy, no tool required). Thanks for the tip on relieving fuel pressure

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just in case....

On the 2002 Escape the fuel pump relay is in the electrical box in the engine compartment - it's on the driver's side near the fender. I'd guess the newer ones are in the same location. If you've never removed one, just grab it & pull straight up. Also, be sure to have a pan to catch the fuel - expect about a pint or so. I use an old aluminum turkey pan & burn the old fuel in a lawnmower. Whatever comes out of the old filter willl be yucky - cheesecloth is a handy strainer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, forgive me for resurrecting an old thread. I am finally getting around to the filter (life got a little busy). What size Fuel Filter release tool do i need to remove the hose?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will i need this special tool to swap the filter on a 2006 Tribute? or should it come off just like the 04's?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I dont think anything changed in 06 from the 05's and I did my 05 this fall. No special tool was needed at all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
ugh it was cake! its right underneath the car on the driver side passenger door about. I had instructions... BUT you want to pull the fuel pump fuse, start the car and let it die out so theres no fuel pressure in the line. remove fuel filter, wear googles!! gas will spill out of the canister. Put new canister in :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
escaperun44 said:
ah a tool. that's what i thought. well, guess i'll give my mechanic a call and let him handle it.
It's not a fancy tool. It is a spring lock tool, which you can get a version like this about anywhere locally with automotive tools for $5-$10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you all for the posts and help! The old one came out and the new one went in with no issues at all. I can't believe how much gas came out of such a small filter. Even after pulling the fuse and running the engine till it died. It was like getting a gallon out of quart container! :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm trying to change my fuel filter and when I pull the 24 fuel pump fuse the vechile dies right away. I could not get the lines off, Iwent and got the tool and still cannot remove the lines. Am I not able to remove them due to pressue? Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
victajay said:
I'm trying to change my fuel filter and when I pull the 24 fuel pump fuse the vechile dies right away. I could not get the lines off, Iwent and got the tool and still cannot remove the lines. Am I not able to remove them due to pressue? Thanks
Did you use a small screwdriver to pull up and release the white plastic clips off the lines before you pulled on them?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts