Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JP do you have any diagrams or anything on doing this? I don't know how many filters there are but I bought the one that is right by the tank and it is an external filter :) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What can I expect when I take off the first clip and pull the hose off? I'm assuming it's pressurized? Is gas going to be shooting everywhere or will it slowly pour out? I would like to know what to expect before I pull it off :)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Exactly what Pete said. Also, it's not that bad at all. Some of the pressure will go away if you let the 'scape sit overnight.

But I'll put up a post in How-to 2001-2007 for it.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just changed it! Wasn't that hard at all. Slid right out, got some gas on the forehead, slid back in, and drank a brewski :) Job well done! :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
next time. start your escape, and lift up your driverside back seat, under the seat there is the carpet and an access hole for your fuel pump. you can unplug your pump and let it idle till its stalls. and when you start it up, just turn the key on and let it sit till the pump cycles off, then start it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I first changed my fuel filter on a cloudy day and the moonroof was open.

I pulled the fuel filter off and right at that moment it started to rain. My friend raced to the drivers seat and turned the ignition to "ON" so he could shut the moonroof. As he did this, the fuel lines tried to prime and fuel shot all over my face :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Tribby said:

I pulled the fuel filter off and right at that moment it started to rain. My friend raced to the drivers seat and turned the ignition to "ON" so he could shut the moonroof. As he did this, the fuel lines tried to prime and fuel shot all over my face :lol:
Oh no !!! Sure hate to hear that happened, Tribby !! ;)

( Good to see ya online, Tribby !! :) I sure hope that you are doing well !! :) )

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Good job!

I don't worry about this, as it's my wife's, I bought the service policy. 24/7 towing and they do all the maintenance for the next two years, no deductables. Whew! Of course after that I need to figure out what's up! :yes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
FYI, the easiest way to release fuel pressure is to remove the gas pump relay located in the fuse/relay box under the hood.

Turn the engine over for a couple of seconds and you should be good to go! No gas spray!

When you are done simply reconnect the relay and turn the key to the on position (without actually starting the engine) and off 3 or 4 times and the system will pressurize again.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Xcape said:
FYI, the easiest way to release fuel pressure is to remove the gas pump relay located in the fuse/relay box under the hood.

Turn the engine over for a couple of seconds and you should be good to go! No gas spray!

When you are done simply reconnect the relay and turn the key to the on position (without actually starting the engine) and off 3 or 4 times and the system will pressurize again.
And NOW you tell me this....sheesh

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
sorry for the bump but how'd you know which is the fuel pump relay?

gonna be doing this, the air filter, and the oil and filter at the weekend... (and pos the tranny oil too)

Any tips?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Owner's Manual :)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
For 2001-2004 models, the fuel pump relay is located in the battery junction box. It's the large, rectangular box located on the top left side of the engine compartment, in front of the left-side strut tower.

Since the older service DVDs don't identify the actual relay inside the battery junction box, you could make this easier by just removing the fuse for it. Fuse F1.6, a 20A fuse inside the battery junction box, controls the fuel pump relay.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol

It doesn't tell you how to remove it...just gives you a diagram where it is :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There should also be a diagram under the lid of your battery junction box. That's how I found mine.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Colleen said:
Tribby said:

Oh no !!! Sure hate to hear that happened, Tribby !! ;)

( Good to see ya online, Tribby !! :) I sure hope that you are doing well !! :) )
Just be glad he wasn't smoking at the time!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts