Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The used 07 Escape I bought a few months ago has a decal on the windshield that says there is a Chapman vehicle security system installed on the car. It probably was a dealer add-on. I'm hoping someone has experience with car alarms and security systems because I don't know where to look to see if the system is still in the car. And if it's there how do I determine if it works and what model of system it is? I googled Chapman and Code Alarm but didn't get any useful information. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chapman is a name from the 60's and 70's. It was an armored cable, going from the dash to the hood latch, that was both a hood lock and cut-off switch. This was before the time of inside hood releases.

So many people had problems with that lock malfunctioning.

I thought the company went out of business decades ago. I wonder if that's on old decal, or a resurrected company.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a follow-up, I called customer service at Audiovox which owns Code Alarm Systems which owns Chapman Security Systems (or something like that) and they gave me the address of the nearest dealer in their vehicle security systems. Yes, Chapman is still in business as far as I know, but Audiovox doesn't promote it very aggressively as far as I can tell.

Took it to the dealer and he looked under the dashboard and under the hood and declared that the only Chapman Security System on the vehicle was the decal in the window. :shrug: I kind of suspected that already.

I guess the decal doesn't do any harm and it might have some deterrent effect. So for now it stays. :play:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Diana said:
***spam deleted***
I'm sorry, am I missing something here??? What does this have to do with a Chapman Security System??

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I smell spam, or maybe I'm not studying hard enough.

:bill:

Deleted, and the next spam-like message from that member will result in a ban by username and IP address.

Thanks, Col!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks, Colleen. I thought it was kinda weird! :) lol Gawd I hate spammers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts