Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

So I want to properly deaden the sound in my Escape, but want to try to save some money while doing it. On DIY Mobile Audio was a thread where someone pointed out this cheaper alternative to Sounddeandershowdown CCF: http://www.closedcellfoams.com/gymnasticrubber.html. The actual name of the stuff is "Polyvinyl Chloride Nitrile Butadiene Rubber" and claims to be very similar to Ensolite.

After reading about this, I then decided to quickly check for a cheaper alternative to SDS MLV sheeting and came up with this: http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/Mass-Loaded-Vinyl-Barrier-4-1-8.html. The only problem I see with this is that it is sold only in 120sq. ft. chunks. That sound like it might be a bit much for the Escape (anyone know how much MLV is needed to cover a typical vehicle?). Shipping to Michigan would be $60. They also sell a thinner MLV for cheaper.

Anyone here have any thoughts on these materials? I might just try out the marine MLV since is is cheaper than the SDS stuff and has the same area density (1lb. per sq. ft.). It sounds like SDS is still the place to go for CLD tiles, but I'm hoping that I can save some cash on the CCF and MLV.

Thanks for any help. :)
-J

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know about the MLV or CCF alternatives but I've ordered the CLD tiles from Don at SDS and I'm very happy with the outcome. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just got the full shebang from Don and I am waiting for time to install. See my "Sinister's 1st Build" thread. I am not sure on the comparative prices out there, but everything I have read points to the SDS CCF as being the best. Fourthmeal and others on the DIYMA site constantly pointed to Don's CCF as the best as it lasts and does not stay "squished" when it gets compressed. I don't have anything to compare the materials I got from SDS to, but the material looks to be top quality. I got MLV, CCF, CLD Tiles, velcro, H-66 glue and a roller - all delivered for $400. I wanted to go in the $200-250 range for everything but I also wanted to do it once and do it right. I think you could get other MLV for cheaper, but I really think the CCF Don supplies is the best in my research.

Of course I haven't even started my project yet so I can't relay any install information yet.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
sinister mob said:
I just got the full shebang from Don and I am waiting for time to install. See my "Sinister's 1st Build" thread. I am not sure on the comparative prices out there, but everything I have read points to the SDS CCF as being the best. Fourthmeal and others on the DIYMA site constantly pointed to Don's CCF as the best as it lasts and does not stay "squished" when it gets compressed. I don't have anything to compare the materials I got from SDS to, but the material looks to be top quality. I got MLV, CCF, CLD Tiles, velcro, H-66 glue and a roller - all delivered for $400. I wanted to go in the $200-250 range for everything but I also wanted to do it once and do it right. I think you could get other MLV for cheaper, but I really think the CCF Don supplies is the best in my research.

Of course I haven't even started my project yet so I can't relay any install information yet.
Well there is definitely nothing wrong with outsourcing for cheaper products, that's the name of the game of DIY.

Don's tiles aren't the cheapest out there, but they are stout and you don't have to use very much to get massive results. The CCF he has is quite good, but I think a neoprene would also do quite well. That company you are point out has neoprene at good prices. Who knows what shipping is, but that's another topic. I suppose their free shipping is quite effective if you had a buddy to co-order with or if you wanted lots of stuff.

MLV is definitely cheaper elsewhere thanks to shipping, even Don says so in his website for everyone to know. I think that's pretty fair.

I have seen that link before, but of course thanks for posting it for others, OP.

Here's the neoprene, which may be a better product overall:
http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it looks like that I will indeed end up going with the SDS CLD tiles when I'm ready to purchase my deadening. I did notice the neoprene (which is what eDead Teklite and my wetsuit are made out of), but it is also more expensive than the gymmat rubber.

Here's a link to the topic on DIYMA about the lower-cost materials: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy ... ative.html

It does make for a pretty interesting read.

Edit: This place offers 40sq. ft. rolls of MLV. The marine shop offers 100sq. ft. MLV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.