Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking Fuel pressure
I need to check my fuel pressure I looked in my book which says to use the Schrader valve. I cannot find the Schrader valve.
I have a 2005 Mazda tribute 6cylinder.
I believe some models do not have a valve and mine may be one.
Anyone know of a tee I could get to put in the line temporarily? I figure there must be a piece you could unhook a connector and put between the metal hose and the rubber hose. I saw a post about cutting a hose but I don't like that idea too much.
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
482 Posts
They all have a shrader valve.

Please don't cut anything.

Don't take this the wrong way, but in case you weren't aware what a shrader valve looks like, it's the "tip" of the tire valve. You won't see the black rubber valve body on the fuel system, just the brass tip. And it will have a cover. The cover keeps dirt and debris out of the valve.

HTH.

ps, can I ask why you need to take a fuel pressure reading?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am checking my fuel pressure becouse I have a code P0193 "Frame fuel pressure high"

I figure it is either the sensor or the regualtor and this would tell me which.

I am going to look again to see if I can find the valve.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
482 Posts
No Schrader valve? You guys sure?

Well what do you know....I pulled out my handy dandy Haynes, they do say that the 2.0L does not have a Schrader valve. That's a bummer.

Some days, I really hate Ford engineers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took my car to the dealer since I could not find the schrader valve anywhere. The mechanic said I need a new fuel sensor, the pressure was good.

He said my car does not have a schrader valve he used an adapter. It had a male and female quick disconnet and the hose to the fuel rail was disconnected and this was put in it's place.

I did some more searching and found something that looked like what he had.

Star Products
STR 74484
5/16in Quick Disconnect Hose Assy w/Q. C. Plug: Chrysler/Ford

http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatool ... 74484.html

Not sure if it is excatly the right one, but looks like it.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm glad you eventually sorted things out and thank you for letting us know.
I'm still puzled with the existence or not of a shrader valve on the V6 engine.My 2004 V6 Escape has one.May be another Tribute owner here can give us his input.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is not my pic. But it is a pic of an Escape with a 3.0L V6 with the upper intake manifold removed. See the circled item. That's the schrader valve for checking the fuel pressure. It has a black plastic cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards, but I have the same code. I have a 2005 Escape with the V6. I did some investigating...

In the middle of the picture you can see the fuel line going into the right side of the fuel rail. There is no test port or pulsation damper present. I too have the Haynes manual, and it was based on a 2002 V6 Escape. So looks like no test port on 2005 and later (the updated gen I model).

Here you can see the fuel line that was tapped into by Chris' mechanic. It has a red plastic fitting on the left end and a white one on the right end. Looks like that quick connect fitting at http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatool ... 74484.html is the thing to have to T into the line and check the pressure.

Finally, this is the fuel rail pressure sensor (I believe). I just bought one from the dealer for $105, and I'm going to change it out. By the way, only the dealer carries them. Hopefully that should be fix the problem. If that's not it, the next place I would look would be the fuel pump unit, which is more expensive ($250-400, depending on where you get it). Also, it's more of a hassle to replace. But judging by most posts online, the sensor should be the culprit. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
No Schrader valve? You guys sure?

Well what do you know....I pulled out my handy dandy Haynes, they do say that the 2.0L does not have a Schrader valve. That's a bummer.

Some days, I really hate Ford engineers.
But isnt the 2.0 I-4 engine built by Mazda? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the P0193 code on my 05 escape. I am wondering if a bad gas cap can cause this code to pop up. I had my escape inspected on Sat, they test the gas cap as part of the yearly inspection by law. The code showed up on the very next day just 20 miles after it had been inspected. Could a bad gas cap cause this code??????

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Ford Escape with a 3 liter V6. I read in the Haynes manual that there was a schrader valve on the fuel rail. I could not see it either. I had to remove the upper intake manifold to change the spark plugs and sure enough no schrader valve on the fuel rail. I read somewhere that the computer monitors the fuel pressure so I am thinking you could read it with a diagnostic tool in real time mode. However I only have a code reader so I don't know if that is possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My obdii reader allows me to see fuel pressure along with a lot of other live sensor readings. I think I payed $100.00 at auto zone for it. It has helped me with finding and diagnosing other engine isues with my 05 v6 escape. My idle fuel pressure is 39 to 40psi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.