Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My child seat keeps tipping in my new 2010 Escape. This is dangerous. Are there any anchors in the car that I can use to tie the seat to so that it doesn't tip left or right? I can't find where they are located.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am not sure where you are from, but I know the Pennsylvania State Police will install your car seat free of charge. Call your local police and see if they will do the same or if there is another organization they recommend.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There are anchors in the back hatch area ceiling

·
Registered
139 Posts
Although I installed our infant car seat myself in our 2010 Escape, we went to the Fire Department yesterday to have it inspected. I would imagine that every area has a program like that, as suggested above.

Having said that, what kind of child seat? Is it an infant or toddler seat? Are you using the seatbelt or LATCH (LUAS)? There are tether straps on the ceiling in the cargo area, but those are for forward facing seats for older children.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an infant, rear facing seat. We secure the base with the lapbelt part of the seatbelt, but it is not enough to keep it from tipping.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ed3120 said:
It's an infant, rear facing seat. We secure the base with the lapbelt part of the seatbelt, but it is not enough to keep it from tipping.
My seat uses LATCH (LUAS) so I am not as familiar with the seatbelt installation. I'd really suggest that you have someone take a look at it. If you Google "car seat clinic" +Where you live, I am sure you will find some information.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There should be metal hoops in the rear bench for this sort of thing. On my 02, there are little symbols on the bottom of the back support that show where they are. Yours might be similar.

Or are those not the right kind?

·
Registered
142 Posts
You have two options: (1) there are two anchor points at each outboard seat for latch anchors. They are black rectangular loops in the crease of the seat; or (2) if you pull the seatbelt all the way out, you will hear a clicking as it goes back in. This is a locking mechanism for child seats. If you use this method, the seatbelt will no longer be able to adjust out (until you unbuckle it and let it go all the way back in), and, therefore, will not allow the seat to tip any more. If you have the owner's manual, both options are outlined therein (page 157-161 of the 2010 owner's manual).

Owner's manual here if you don't have a print version: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rear mounted child seats WILL tip back towards the rear seatback regardless of installation. They are supposed to do this in a collision to help absorb the energy of the collision. This is why it is CRITICAL that if you use a "bucket" style seat the handle is put down (not left up as for carrying the infant seat) as the handle can seriously injure the child. Can't tell you how many people you see driving along with the handle up.

A buddy of mine is a firefighter and does those clinics. Even with LATCH - and we've used the rear anchors in Canada since the 80s - he says that he figures about 75% of car seats are incorrectly installed, and about half of those are so bad (dangerous) it would be safer for the child just to ride on the regular seat wearing the seatbelt.

If it is tipping side to side it is incorrectly installed. Every car in North America has had LATCH since 2002 and every car seat has had the installation system for latch since before that. Car seats are only good for 5 years regardless of what the manufacturer stamps on them, so any seat you are using in a 2010 Escape should easily mount with LATCH. Make sure the adjustable part of the LATCH strap is on the left side of the vehicle (drivers side) regardless of seating position as well to ensure it stays tight.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I looked at the seats today, and there are rectangular anchors near the buckels (the click part) in the back. That has to be what you need have you raised the rear seats?

·
Registered
139 Posts
kmoose said:
Rear mounted child seats WILL tip back towards the rear seatback regardless of installation. They are supposed to do this in a collision to help absorb the energy of the collision. This is why it is CRITICAL that if you use a "bucket" style seat the handle is put down (not left up as for carrying the infant seat) as the handle can seriously injure the child. Can't tell you how many people you see driving along with the handle up.

A buddy of mine is a firefighter and does those clinics. Even with LATCH - and we've used the rear anchors in Canada since the 80s - he says that he figures about 75% of car seats are incorrectly installed, and about half of those are so bad (dangerous) it would be safer for the child just to ride on the regular seat wearing the seatbelt.

If it is tipping side to side it is incorrectly installed. Every car in North America has had LATCH since 2002 and every car seat has had the installation system for latch since before that. Car seats are only good for 5 years regardless of what the manufacturer stamps on them, so any seat you are using in a 2010 Escape should easily mount with LATCH. Make sure the adjustable part of the LATCH strap is on the left side of the vehicle (drivers side) regardless of seating position as well to ensure it stays tight.
A properly mounted car seat (disclaimer: I only have experience with LATCH (LUAS)) will not move significantly in any direction. If it moves at all, it isn't installed correctly. They say "more than one inch," but ours moves even less than that, even toward the seatback.

I really encourage the OP to seek professional guidance.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My mistake - I meant rear-facing seats will tip back towards the seatback in a collision. Not rear mounted.

Other than this, you are correct, any seat - rear or forward facing- shouldn't move fore-and-aft on the base at all, and minimal to one inch of play side to side is all that is allowed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts