Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a very strange problem with my Ford Escape. It started about a month ago intermittently but now I can make it happen at will, except for a 48 hour period a couple of days ago when it just didn't happen at all.

Basically, at WOT, when shifting gears, there is a sound like a bird chirping (a squeeking or chirping) from what sounds like the rear underbody of the car (in the hatch area but under the car), and the car JERKS hard while shifting.

Any clue what this is? It's annoying as not only am I worried about it damaging my transmission, but it slows the car down slightly as well (+ .2s in 1/4 mile when it does it).

What was weird though is that a couple of days ago, it shifted buttery smooth for the first time in a month. Yesterday, the problem is back and I can do it 100% on command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2006 Ford Escape Limited
XCAL 3 93 Octane Tune
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
escapedtroy said:
its not ur wheels chirping is it?

but seriously how often are u driving at WOT?
im lucky to WOT once a week, hope its not causeing to much damage
cheers
ys no doubt.. dude slow down. its a grocery go getter, not a drag car.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Does WOT mean ' Wind out the Tachometer '?. I agree with the other members ,to go steady with your car. Periodically i will " FANG IT ", but i don't make a habit of it. I only do it on very random moments. Like the others mentioned, that basically our SUV'S were not engineered as sports cars. They are basically grocery getters.

My first warning, was when i overdone it exploring mud tracks. The auto trans oil was cooked. The mechanic told me, i was fortunate not to be up for major repairs, as in replacing transaxle and gearbox. He changed over my gearbox oil. My service tech advised me, that other escape owners have been up for extensive repairs, in context of gearbox and transaxle.

The car jerks hard while shifting ? HMMM! Interesting. I am only guessing though. Correct me if i'm wrong on this. Is it possible that maybe the auto trans, or the rear trans axle is being stressed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It means wide open throttle, or flooring it.

I drive WOT 10-15 times a day easily.

With the stupid 4 speed transmission there are three speeds - stopped, creeping, and WOT. The onramps here in CT are murder - every time I merge onto the highways near my house, I have to merge into 90mph traffic from a stop sign on the side of the highway with maybe 300ft to get up to speed. Every time I pass someone, I have to WOT.

As for repairs, I have a bumper to bumper warranty to 100,000 miles so I don't particularly care if the trans needs to be replaced (purchased the warranty specifically because of the trans problems and I know I drive hard). I'll drive it hard until it dies out of warranty, then I'll get a BMW. I'm stuck with it for 60,000 miles though so I'd prefer if it wasn't jerking like this when I shift.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
without getting an Xcal and a tune, or taking it to a transmission shop and having them change some things in your valve body, your pretty much stuck with it.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Does it do this when you revert to the stock tune? Maybe it has to do with the XCal adjusting the shift pressures too much. If the stock tune does not display this problem, your tuner should be able to sort it out for you.

If you hear the squeak over some bumps as well, read this TSB: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=159

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im an idiot.. i didnt read that you had an xcal. lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
grocerry go getter? lol ive chirped mine off a set of toll gates a few times when i had the standard wheels on it.
but advice only do it when the road is wet/ slippery.
need to drive it hard but not WOT when u fell her about to change WOT it and ull chirp it lol
its all fun and games till some one blows a tranny lol

cheers

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks for the reply escapedtroy, plus also on what WOT meant. I am not quite clued up as yet, regarding the internet chatting abbreviations for english words. Getting there gradually. Cheers! :) :happy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts