Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 escape and was wondering does anyone know how that chrome plastic piece is attached that is around the shifter? I want to remove it and paint it black.

thanks

·
Registered
679 Posts
Leave it chrome!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same as mine, i just like the chrome look.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
You could use some black tape to cover it! No removal, no paint. If you should want the chrome look back just remove the tape and clean off the adhesive. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the wonderfull ideas! LOL and no offense taken.

Perhaps I will have to post some pics once its complete for you to see first hand how nice it looks....

UPDATE - its off and the process of de-chromeing it has begun.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I was going to say that it's secured by four friction clips and it needs to be carefully pried off, but you beat me to it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes -- post some pics of the completed project. I don't mind the look of some chrome inside and out. However, the sun glare is often unbearable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hahaha, I like the chrome look better myself, but I have to admit, I have thought about doing this very thing myself. It seems that I keep ending up with the sun at just the right angle that it beams me in the face reflecting off that trim ring for some reason. It's pretty annoying. :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've been think about doing something with mine. I have more of a problem with the chrome trim pieces around the a/c vents myself. They reflect off my windshield and make it look like there is a crack.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I did end up doing it, how ever im not happy with the out come at all. Perhaps the paint I used not sure. I am going to possibly redo it. I removed it and put a chrome one back on I was lucky and picked up at the junk yard for a couple bucks.

The paint was dull and marked up very easily. I may wet sand and recoat and then put a clear coat on to see how that turns out.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm still good with the chrome trim on the vents and shifter. Then again, being old school and an old dude as well, I prefer what I am used to seeing. I do have a Bullitt Mustang without the chrome, but it does have the satin finish on things interior and am good with them. Have you thought about going with an aluminum satin finish instead of totally dark?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts