Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the web site and my wife and I last month replaced her 2003 escape with a 2010 xlt. I was looking at the rims-chrome which were an extra $600.00 and I tapped on them and I think they might be plastic. Has anyone noticed this. They almost look like they might be a hubcap. They are the 5 spoke rims that are a upgrade on xlt and limited.

·
Registered
490 Posts
...even more stupid is the Satin-aluminum clad wheels on the Mariner. I actually don't mind them thus far. They are easy to clean, and I don't have to worry about them so much. (plastic won't rust :thumb: ).

Most all Ford's current "chrome" wheels are "clad".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did I say $600.00 for the rims. Just checked the sticker and they are $695.00 and tax. Oh well. They do look nice. Heck I spent about 1000 plus tax on aftermarket rims for my 06 f150 fx4 and they are actually chrome.

·
Registered
679 Posts
i will just get my stock rims chromed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My Escape also the plastic chrome clad wheels and I don't care for them much. However, when polished they look pretty good. At over 12K miles, I haven't noticed much chipping if any of the chrome or plastic. I live in the South so road salt in the winter isn't a problem for me, but I've heard they hold up pretty well even under those conditions.

I wanted a 17" wheel on my Escape, so even if I had realized they were plastic at the time of purchase I probably would have bought them anyway with the Escape. It was the only 17" wheel available for the Escape at that time. Someday I may replace them with aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 08 Limited I just bought has the chrome clad wheels. They have a small flange around them that the wheel weights clip to, and the clear coat goes bad on this area and the clear comes off and makes the wheel look bad. Ford has ordered new wheels for my 08 at no cost. Keep an eye on your wheels and get them replaced before the warranty runs out if they go bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
matthewphantom said:
Just joined the web site and my wife and I last month replaced her 2003 escape with a 2010 xlt. I was looking at the rims-chrome which were an extra $600.00 and I tapped on them and I think they might be plastic. Has anyone noticed this. They almost look like they might be a hubcap. They are the 5 spoke rims that are a upgrade on xlt and limited.
Matthew, thanks for this thread. I'm considering a Limited with Chrome wheels, and now I will look much closer. However, like DaveJ I do want the 17" wheels.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I have the 17" chrome-clad wheels. I also had the 18" chrome-clad wheels on my Edge. These aren't made by Ford, nor are the chrome-clad wheels on cars from other manufacturers, either. This type of wheel has been made for years, and it's a great option if you have the time to keep them clean.

Like Picturetaker said, the lip that isn't covered may corrode. It's not because it isn't coated, because it is. The corrosion starts under the chrome cover (where the clearcoat ends) and works its way under the clearcoat to the lip, although the clipped-on weights will also scratch the coating and promote corrosion.

I had no trouble refinishing the lips on my Edge (which started corroding about two years after I bought it), and I'll probably need to do this with my Escape's wheels as well, but I really like the five-spoke design and 17" tires. The Limited's standard 16" six-spokers just didn't work for me.

Ideally? I'd get a set of the SAP 17" wheels (they're the same as the chrome-clad wheels, but without the chrome cap), have them either chromed or painted silver/clearcoated, and have the wheel weights installed inside, which is what Ford finally started doing with the Edge last year.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Just had two of my 17" chrome-clad wheels replaced by the dealer about three weeks ago because of corrosion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last week I had the new wheels installed by the dealer that Ford had oked to be replaced under warranty. At my request they used stick-on weights to balance the wheels. This looks cleaner and the lip will not be damaged by the clip on the standard wheel weights. I was told by the dealer that road salt and chemicals mixed with the salt may be the problem with the wheels clearcoat going bad on the wheel lip. Also they said not to use a spray on chrome cleaner to clean the wheels, as it may contain a type of acid that will eat the clearcoat. I would like to get a take on location of escapes with this wheel problem, do you live in an area with road salt? Or does Escapes in areas outside of the snow belt have the same problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts