Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had my car for a little over a month now and today i noticed that when i turn the car are and hit the brake to shift into drive i hear a clicking noise. I never heard this sound before and it did it when i went to shift into park as well. Could somebody please help me. Last i need is my tranny to fail i do have a warranty but its weird to happen now.

thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sounds to me like a problem with the shifter mechanism where the gear selector is connected to the transmission via a cable. That fact that your stepping on the brakes and hearing the clicking sound at the same time leads me to believe that these two actions are related to the shifter somehow.

Here is a recent thread that may help describe what I'm talking about.

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=111679

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok if you are correct what does this mean. Will i have to replace this connection or the whole mechanism

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thank you. I also believe this clicking sounds like it is coming from the dash does that change any of this

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh yeah, could be one other thing - the shift lock solenoid or something in the shift lock solenoid circuit.

When you step on the brakes do the brake lights flicker, shine steady, or fail to work at all?

Sorry, but this is something else you can check. It's an easy check.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Also, check the wiring under the hood, near the master cylinder. There was a recall for burned wiring on early 2001 models, related to the ABS system.

If you see any wiring in that area that looks burned, frayed, or cracked, take it in to have the recall done. It's free.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Clicking sound which seems to come from the dashboard area may indicate worn bearings of the strut mounts.Audible at slow speeds and a little more intense while taking a turn.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i checked all of these possibilities and i found nothing. So i had to bring it to the place where i bought it anyway to get the cruise control fixed that they never fixed. There was a annoying hissing from the brake because of that but anyway.. the mechanic checked it out and said it was fine it is normal and all it is the gears releasing from park into what ever gear you shift to

1 - 14 of 14 Posts