Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am a brand new member and a brand new Ford Escape owner. I have had my 2010 Ford Escape Ltd for about three weeks.

I am really puzzled to how this automatic climate control works. It doesn't seem to matter what the temp is outside, when I hit the auto button, the AC comes on and stays on. Even though there is still warm air coming out of the vents. What gives? Is this costing me more money for fuel cuz I am running the ac? And why is it coming on anyways?

Love my truck though. It rocks. :rockon:

Warren

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Hi Warren,

Not sure on the climate controls, Ean (my Escape) doesn't have that.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello and welcome you to the City! Lots of things to visit and enjoy escaping around the site! :yahoo:

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Mariner does the same thing. The mornings here have been a bit chilly, but the a/c light is always on, even with heat coming out.

I don't remember how it reacted last winter, I probably shut the a/c and left it in automatic mode the whole winter.

Frankly, I'm disappointed with how the climate control handles the heat. Set on 70, it gets uncomfortably warm in the car, then switches to cool air, which on a 35 degree day is also uncomfortable. I took it to the dealer who said everything was fine.

This year, I may make more of an issue if it continues doing this. The a/c climate control was fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The A/C light is on because the compressor is engage to remove moisture from the air and prevent your windows from fogging up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
normkol said:
My Mariner does the same thing. The mornings here have been a bit chilly, but the a/c light is always on, even with heat coming out.

I don't remember how it reacted last winter, I probably shut the a/c and left it in automatic mode the whole winter.

Frankly, I'm disappointed with how the climate control handles the heat. Set on 70, it gets uncomfortably warm in the car, then switches to cool air, which on a 35 degree day is also uncomfortable. I took it to the dealer who said everything was fine.

This year, I may make more of an issue if it continues doing this. The a/c climate control was fine.
This is why I deliberately bought a loaded XLT instead of the Limited. I had climate control on my Odyssey and absolutely hated it - it was always doing something I didn't want it to do. I figure I am capable of knowing when it is either cold or warm in my car and can take the 2 seconds to reach over and adjust the HVAC system to my liking.

It is safe to say that they all pretty much work the same. Even my wife's Mercedes frustrates me-and her- with its auto climate control.

I really see automatic climate control as the equivelant of the 80s digital dash Chrysler tried out. Sure, seems like a good idea, but really.....does anyone need it? Just something else to frustrate me, then break.

***However, having the ac come on when you hit defrost makes sense.

But........why do the heated mirrors only come on if I hit the rear defroster?? Why not have a seperate switch? Any other car I've had I use the heated mirrors in the rain to keep them clear of water...worked great. But now I have to use the rear defogger to do this?? Arrgh.

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
The best thing is to read the owner manual, i know this response is plain but the way to go. And then you know all the goods!!

i welcome you to the city, i'm a rookie myself and congrat for your truck HIPSHOT69.

frenchcanadian

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
All auto climate controls run the compressor all the time :calvin: . It's the way the system is set up. Partly because it needs to dehumidify the interior for foggy window sake. The system is suppose to blend in the heat using the blend doors to regulate the temperature. Personnally, I'd buy the loaded XLT like kmoose. But you own this truck now, so adjust the temp to the comfort level and enjoy the system :p .

Don't sweat the fuel loss, it isn't much. Try driving a week without it.

Disconnect the plug on the compressor and see how much gas you save. I bet you won't be able to measure the difference. :bill:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. I guess it makes sense that the ac would come on to anti fog the window. I don't mind that as long as everything is working the way it should and isn't costing me my precious gas.

By the way, that link didn't seem to work for me frenchcanadian. I didn't have authorization to view it, or something.

I guess the next big concern of mine would be this crazy squeak I have when I accelerate. That is a whole other forum that I have found and my squeak is actually called a hoot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just for the record, if anybody cares, I have found out now that as the weather gets colder here in Vancouver BC, when I hit the auto climate button, the ac light goes off if the outside temp is 10 degrees or colder. (50 F). And it hasn't changed my gas mileage one bit.

Thanks again.

Warren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts