Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2010 Mariner Base, 4wd, 2.5L with 200k miles
Had the brakes ( new drums, rotors and pads) sway bar links, shocks and struts replaced 6 months ago.
I’ve been noticing since about 1 month ago a clonk noise coming from the front of the car. I would compare the noise to the noise that happens if the front pads clips being broke.
Not sure where to go from here.
Thank you
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
I would go to the front suspension and look. Evidence of clunk-causing would be clean spots where two things clunk together. Also things that move that should not. It could be the pad carrier is loose. It could be the sway bar links have loosened or have damaged rubber insulators. It could be the struts are moving. All things that were fiddled with could have loosened a couple fasteners and are moving under load, bumps, etc. A visual inspection, and possibly trying to move the wheel when it is off the ground. Grab the tire at 3:00 and 9:00 and try to move it back and forth. Note any freedom of motion. Grab again at 6:00 and 12:00, repeating the motion check. If there is looseness in the strut, the knuckle, the ball joint, you likely would see the tire movement as you push/pull.
tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
Under what circumstances does the clunk happen? Have you changed the control arms and tie-rod ends lately? I had to change them at less than half the mileage that yours has.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts