Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2010 Mariner, 2.5L, 4WD Base
I had the struts, shocks, both lower control arms 4 wheel alignment , in the last couple of months.
There is the clonk noise whenever I drive from Right Front.
Not sure where it’s coming from

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
775 Posts
Hi

I have a 2010 Mariner, 2.5L, 4WD Base
I had the struts, shocks, both lower control arms 4 wheel alignment , in the last couple of months.
There is the clonk noise whenever I drive from Right Front.
Not sure where it’s coming from
Can you maybe capture clonk audio? ( :

Conditions? are you accelerating like a grandma, are you hitting it hard getting onto the highway on-ramp making a turn? Turning in One Direction, but not the other? Manual transmission, or automatic?

Random clonk I would guess would be in exhaust mount, or something that has been worked on very recently
Motor mount?… We can guess all day
You're going to have to narrow it down, or put it up in the air, and start shaking things down. You seem pretty clear it's the right front end… Maybe even brake caliper? I don't know what all was touched when y'all worked on stuff.
That would be the first thing I shake down, is what has been most recently worked on.
I have made mistakes, I am human. It sucks to have to go back through everything.
you have to go through it all though

this is funny, but check and make sure nobody left a wrench, flashlight, beercan...
or anything that could be banging around… Hopefully it's something silly after all that work.

· Registered
3,798 Posts
Could be the CV axle. The right one is made up of two parts and a support in between them. If the support bearing goes, the shafts are able to 'wander' a bit when torqued. The shafts & support would be in front of the front passenger area. You may be able to crawl under, and grab the axle and attempt to shake it. It should not shake/move. Another possible is the sway bar links, but they are more 'thumpy' sounding. And finally you can grab the engine and try to move it fore and aft. If it moves, the F/R engine supports would be suspect. Last time I had a vibration in the steering wheel when stopped in gear. Replaced the passenger side motor mount, and vibration almost completely gone. It is 'liquid filled'(a capsule?) and the liquid can leak out(somewhere, never saw any) and you get vibration, no clonk.
tom

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

So the clonk noise is more noticeable when driving under 25 mph, either on pavement or dirt road.
I raised the car and grabbed the Passenger Side Tire at 9 and 3 oclock and there is some play. Tie rod seems loose ( it moves fairly easy.
Also when the car is parked there is a clonk noise if I move the steering wheel from 12 to 2.
I never looked at the exhaust brakets for any damages.
Also about 3 months ago I ran over a deer doing 35mph, I'm wondering if this might be related.

Thank you
Paul

· Registered
211 Posts
The deer might have damaged some plastic parts, but unlikely the tie rods. Maybe the axle bellows. When anything with a ball joint starts to have a play - swaybar link, tie-rod end, control arm - it quickly worsens. Any wheel movement over road imperfections will make the halves knock on each other a little more. These are maintenance items. I've changed them all more than once, on mine. It depends on how nice -or not- the road pavements are in your area, not on a single event. Changing an exterior tie-rod end is an easy diy.

· Registered
3,798 Posts
Any play in either inner tie-rod or outer tie-rod sockets will cause excessive tire wear, a bit of noise, and likely wandering in steering. Some allow them to wear so long the ball/socket joint finally fails, and they lose steering control.
The parts are not real expensive, and the outers are not real difficult, but you WILL need to have the toe checked after replacement. You can count the turns when taking apart and get pretty close by installing the new part the same number to get an approximate toe setting.
If you raise the wheel off the ground, and try to shake and noon and 6, and get motion at the 6 position, your ball joint may be worn. It will also cause tire wear, wander, and potentially noise.
tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts