Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am a metal man not an electrician and here is how bad I am with running wires. My CB has a black and red line. I can't find anywhere in the firewall that will allow the line to get to the battery. The Black line I can ground to a good connection (I think :bang: ) is there anywhere on my side of the fire wall I can run the hot line too? And if so can a total lamo do it right the first time w/o frying anything :lightning:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I didn't have much luck finding a hot side since our fuse panels are tucked ever so suckedly into the console. I just ended up bringing a fused line through the firewall. Let me know when you get to that point and I'll explain how to do it the right way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm guessing your CB doesn't pull too much current (4 watt AM transmitter)

If you keep the CB in the armrest or near it, you can tap power from the cigar lighter/accessory plug thats at the back of the arm rest (just pull off the cup holder thats at the top-rear of the armrest, you'll see the inside of the plug there)

Pat

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
My radio tech had to, feed wires through the firewall.

I have the commercial uhf Icom F2010, plus IC-208H dual bander, hard wired to car battery.

There are double fuses for both radios.

Then he installed, an extra fuse by the battery.

_____

Some people regard this as overkill.

But with high powered expensive radios, it is better to be on the safe side.

The radio tech mentioned, it is better to have that safeguard, instead of frying the radio circuit board.

The usual SWR test was done.

My F2010 is in the safe zone, and showed a quarter of an inch above 1.1.

It is not ideal because, i am on a ground independent.

The tech said to not panic, as it is in the safe area.
____

If it would have gone up to 2, on SWR meter then that is not good.

The IC-F2010 has flexible transmit as in, 5 LO: LO 2 is 10 watts, plus 25 watts for high RF.

He did a test for my IC-208H.

I use an elevated feed on nudge bar, with a " SCATX " bandspanner antenna.

The SWR meter on IC-208H , gave a reading of the sweet 1:1 ratio.

·
Registered
311 Posts
At one point before I cleaned up my wiring, I had my wiring harness to my radar detector plugged in with a fuse that was accessories only when the car was powered on. It was very ghetto, but for how little power it drew I knew it was safe.

As for the noise, any system with speakers will produce noise if your ground isn't clean. Find your ground point and file or use sandpaper to clean off the body primer. It needs to be shiny metal to ensure the best grounding. Additionally, ensure that your antenna connector is run away from any 12v power sources, as this can provide a significant amount of interference. Are you using an external car antenna??

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did what you suggested and it works better. I am using an external CB antenna. I moved the ground from the battery to the chaise and it made a difference.
Right now I'm making a cover for the wiring that is exposed that runs from the CB along the shifter. Using some tan fabric from the old Santa Fe

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Let me start off saying I'm no radio expert. However, I have been down this road a few times.

Do you have a magnetic mount antennea? I used to get alot of noise from my radio back in the day when I had a magnetic mount antennea. Once I direct bolted the antennea base to the front of the pickup bed (front rail behind the rear window and centered) the noise went away.

My brother used to use a mount welded to the long side of a vise grip handle and would clamp the vise grip to any mirror arm bolt on his truck. He never had any noise.

Also, make sure you have no coils in your wiring, anywhere, but especially on the antennea wire. The other thing is aluded to above, don't pair your antennea wire with your power cable, or speaker wire. It'll make a difference for sure. ;)

One final tip, it's an old one. Get a filter put on your power and your antennea wire. A high low filter. Not sure of the values. Radio Shack, or a CB shop should know which ones. It'll clip out the unwanted noise.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Let me start off saying I'm no radio expert. However, I have been down this road a few times.

Do you have a magnetic mount antennea? I used to get alot of noise from my radio back in the day when I had a magnetic mount antennea. Once I direct bolted the antennea base to the front of the pickup bed (front rail behind the rear window and centered) the noise went away.

My brother used to use a mount welded to the long side of a vise grip handle and would clamp the vise grip to any mirror arm bolt on his truck. He never had any noise.

Also, make sure you have no coils in your wiring, anywhere, but especially on the antennea wire. The other thing is aluded to above, don't pair your antennea wire with your power cable, or speaker wire. It'll make a difference for sure. ;)
That is correct Dave.

My radio tech, kept the antenna wire totally separate. For the power lead in engine bay, he has it inside conduit. Just looks neater.
Also he said the conduit, provides the leads with some extra protection.

I was not expecting it, but are impressed he finished off with conduit.
Not everyone resorts to that. But my technician, just enjoys going that extra mile.
He is meticulous, as in everything is done spot on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.