Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have to ask, for the higher mileage owners out there, have you had a alot of issues with coils going on your 3.0 duratecs? I've done two already, cylinders one and three, and both times its been $500 a rip. First off, do you think thats a fair price? Second of all, is this one of those domino effect type things, or is it just compeltely random? All I know is, 500 dollars everytime one of these things go is not fun at all..... :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
$500?! I don't have the book times next to me, but I can get those rear coils replaced in five minutes. The spark plugs take a bit longer, but the coils themselves are a breeze.

My Escape isn't high-mileage, but I did have one coil die due to me playing around with aftermarket spark plugs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yea 500 bucks..edmunds rated the job at 200 tops....the only thing I was told when I had it done was that someone in their infinate wisdom stripped the head screws on my truck so they had to use some special "tool" to get it off....if I scan my service write up and post it will you guys take a look at it? Oh and how do you replace the coils yourself?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i can swap out the 6 plugs on my 3.0l in less then 40 min. i just did it last weekend. and a brand new coil at autoparts extra is $93(tax in). im ordering one tomorrow. if you have an 8mm 1/4dr socket extension and ratchet, you can unbolt your intake, a 10mm for your EGR valve, a flat tip screw driver to undo the clamp for your intake boot. and a pair of pliers to undo the vacuum lines, and of course a 5/8 spark plug socket. you can do this job yourself. $30 for 6 plugs at canadian tire, some dielectric grease for the connectors and boots. and your done.

you dont need to be a mechanic to tackle this job. but having some skill and knowledge will be helpful. you got a buddy who twist wrenches as a hobbie? offer him $50, and have a few beers. im sure that there is a "how too" on the forums for this. it will walk you through it.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You can skip the PCV and spark plugs, but it shows you how to get the coils.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1508

The coils are easily done without removing the manifold, but for spark plugs it is up to personal preference whether you think doing it blind or taking the intake off is easier. I can do it my way in about 40 min, Crash can do it with the manifold off in 40 min, and Ford charges 174 min. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts