Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clicky

What's your guy's input on this? This looks like a good product but then again kinda feel like its the same as the stock air intake.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
goto home hardware and buy all those parts. you could save yourself some cash.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a good thought! lol

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
after looking at that picture. hose clamps can be purchased for less then a buck each. the flex pipe is not worth more then a few bucks. then you can just put any filter can you want on it. a buddy of mine made one out of an old ammo box for his jeep. it was petty cool. to clean the filter you just popped the top off pulled out the filter and then put it back in and closed the lid and latched it. his was a true cold ait as well. the one in your pic wont do anything better for you then your current stock one with a good quality filter. i wish i had taken pics of it cause it was cool.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But honestly would a true CAI be any better than what is stock right now other than maybe a throatier sound?

·
Registered
293 Posts
That kit is garbage. You're not going to gain anything off of that piece of flex conduit. One of the benefits of a CAI or SRI is a smooth and un-interrupted path to the TB.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
A CAI without a tune is a waste of time and money. Our cars/trucks processors adjust for the varying conditions that the engine is operating under. Any thing you might gain by adding a smooth pipe will be adjusted out by the engine management system. It will keep the engine operating at designed operating parameters until those parameters are changed, or they are so bad that there isn't any more the management system can overcome. Adding capacity isn't a gain for the engine, it's just excess capability unused by the factory tune.

Bottom line? CAI of any type is just something to sell you. Especially, if you don't have a performance tune.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have an XCal with a tune on it...is that what you mean?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Well I have an XCal with a tune on it...is that what you mean?
Exactly what I mean. No tune, best to leave the intake alone. I have a K & N filter for my Bullitt. It came with it when I bought the car used. But no tune. It doesn't matter what filter is in the box, I get the same gas mileage for the same reasons I stated above. You can increase the intake capability all you want, but if the engine and it's controller are not set up to take advantage of the improve availability of intake air it's a wasted investment.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff! Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You can cut it off.

I did that mostly because I felt the factory intake was too low and too close to the "outside" to make water crossings safe. I ended up with something like a short-ram intake, but surprisingly the IAT sensor tells me that I'm not sucking in warm air. Even at idle, the intake air temperature is only one or two degrees warmer than ambient air.

A less drastic approach would be to remove the intake resonator, but the Escape's intake is so long that engine noises are already muffled regardless of the resonator. You won't notice much of a change, if any.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Weapon R makes more than one intake for both the 4cyl and V6 Escapes...they are one of the few manufacturers that make one at all, actually...

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem with those intakes tho is that they DON'T SUCK IN COLD AIR. They are "Short Ram" intakes which means it sucks in air from the engine bay. The engine bay is a solid insulator for heat. Hotter air = bad news

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean...I had an AEM CAI in my 01 ZX3, and it worked well as it drew in air from down in between the front bumper cover and the left front wheel well, and YES, it made an obvious difference from stock (more power, harder acceleration at WOT, and better fuel economy). I had it combined with a 65mm Focus-Central throttle body, FRPP 9mm ignition wires, and a MBRP stainless cat-back exhaust system, and a set of FRPP camgears...that little ZX3 was certainly fun to drive, even with just simple bolt ons (though they were expensive, and only netted me around 10-15 more hp at the wheels total). Right now I'm thinking that the regular panel filter from K&N might be the next mod I do, as it will flow better than the stock filter, and not overly expensive either...

·
Registered
95 Posts
<rant>

I hate it when they do that, advertise a product on an online store but the picture provided is not of your vehicle, but a stock photo.

I bet that kit has never been installed on an Escape and that there is no Escape specific instructions included.

</rant>

That being said, the best one there is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Raci...m14QQhashZitem330273674512QQitemZ330273674512

How ever, the filter element is not an K&N filter. I think that that kit with a K&N filter element is the perfect short-ram intake for a 01-07 V6 Escape.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I took another look at the item you originally saw on ebay, and I realized that it looks like it was made from a central vac system's parts...peice of hose, and the muffler that you use on the vaccum cylinder if it's installed inside your house (some are in garage's).

Hope you didn't decide to get this thing...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts