Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You can make your own for pretty cheap. what do you have in mind?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The problem with cold air intakes is that if they get wet, you can get hydrolock. Aem sells a valve thing that prevents water from going through the intake, but they don't make one specifically for the Escape. You could retrofit one though. I have a weapon-r short ram intake with a spectre (cheaper version of K&N, but exactly the same thing) air filter on it because in Illinois dry filters don't do well. I also have a Gibson cat back exhaust and just those make it sound like a V8.

Weapon-r's dragon intake has a heat shield attachment for the dragon filter, and you can hook a hose they sell onto the heat shield (shield goes over the filter) and it becomes a cold air.

·
Registered
420 Posts
from what i have read and after looking at my factory set-up, it appears that it basicaly has a factory cold air intake.
just seen u have an 01, so not sure how the air intake system is n that year.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yeah a factory intake is a "some what cold air intake" BUT any who..... You can find a 30 degree or 45 degree elbow, air filter, and MAF adapter if needed at a local auto store for pretty good price. I think you have this set up

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've also seen people fabricate an intake using the intake pipes from an 05+ V6 Mustang. Well, two of them put together with small sections of flexible tubing...one of them being installed backwards from the other. This apparently works in some applications, but I've not done it myself...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
go to your auto store and look around or ask where the air filters are or ask if they carry air intake tubes. Ask them if you can try take it outside to see if you have the correct angle then buy a filter that fits. as well as the couplers that hook everthing up together.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Despite being "semi" cold air, for a long time cars have had egr valves, which pump hot air from the exhaust manifold into the intake if the air is too cold coming in, which is "supposed" to increase gas mileage. Had one on my 92 Camaro and ripped it out. Took out the one on my Escape too when I put the short ram in. The engine (like many cars for quite some time ) so I cut a hole in the rubber stripping at the back of the hood and basically made it cowl induction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
KOD said:
Despite being "semi" cold air, for a long time cars have had egr valves, which pump hot air from the exhaust manifold into the intake if the air is too cold coming in, which is "supposed" to increase gas mileage. Had one on my 92 Camaro and ripped it out. Took out the one on my Escape too when I put the short ram in. The engine (like many cars for quite some time ) so I cut a hole in the rubber stripping at the back of the hood and basically made it cowl induction.
----------------
Despite factory intakes having an air source outside the engine compartment, they are highly restrictive, negating the advantage. There is not a true cold-air intake on the market for these cars. Make an insulated divider between the engine and filter.

EGR VALVES DO NOT PUMP EXHAUST INTO THE INTAKE BECAUSE THE INTAKE AIR IS TOO COLD! NOR IS IT TO IMPROVE GAS MILEAGE!
It is an NOX (oxides of nitrogen) emissions control system designed to introduce exhaust gas into the intake manifold during light load conditions to pollute your intake charge, which reduces combustion temperatures, which in-turn reduces NOX emissions that are only created under high combustion temperatures (over 2,500 degrees F if I remember right).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts