Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one
I leave in Canada and I have a Mazda Tribute 2009 and as you know everything on this car is same as Ford Escape and because of this I would like to ask a question and I hope someone has experience on this matter.
During driving I feel cold draft from the left side of the driver seat and also when I have passenger in the car specially right side of the back seat they complain about the cold draft as well I went to different dealerships to find the problem but they told me they couldn't feel the cold draft and I was really surprised that they couldn't feel that then I have tried to find the reason many times but unfortunately I couldn't even I have opened the door panel many times and tried to seal the inside but it doesn't work Couple of days ago I have heard from one of my friend that there is a problem with ford scape and Mazda Tribute door handle which is air leakage so I have decided to post this text on this forum maybe someone has the same problem.
This problem makes me crazy and always I have pain on my ear I will be happy to hear from you
Thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
:beer: oh, sorry wrong cold draft. Other than adding additional insulation in the door I'm not sure there's a lot more that can be done.
Haven't noticed this as a problem on my second generation Escape.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I can occasionally feel a slight cold draft from my door handle. My hand has to be right next to the handle for me to feel anything though. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I hope I can help you out. I had a problem like this before but not on my Escape. Here is what you need to do. Remove the door panels where the suspected air leak is coming from. Once removed and all wires disconected there will be a BLACK plastic film that is attached to the door with a bead of tar based adhesive.
1-Make sure there are no tears in the plastic.
2-Then check to make sure the bead of adhesive has no gaps and that it is fully adhered to the door.
3-If the plastic is torn use packaging tape to repair the tears.
4-If there are any holes for wires or mechanical items seal those up as good as possible. but make sure the moving parts still move without interference.
5-If the adhesive is there but detached don't press the adhesive down to readhere it because it wont stick for long.
6-Get a bic lighter and heat the adhesive up with out burning the plastic then apply it to the door that will make sure you have a good seal.
7-If there areas where the sealant is missing use the packaging tape to seal the plastic to the door.
8-The door speaker can also allow air into the door panel if its not sealed properly so check that too.
9- On my 2004 XLT the back of the door handle was also sealed with some light weight foam to prevent leaks.
10- If you still have a air leak its because the weather striping is not sealing right. Check that out and see if there is a gap where it is seamed together.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi every one and thank you very much for your suggestion but let me explain you what I have done so far but it doesn't work
1-replaced the door seal two times
2-replaced the window seal
3-use the packing tape to seal every were inside the door
4- put home isolation pad inside the door then seal the cover of the inside the door with different kinds of tapes
I have worked on this matter more than 50 hours but I couldn't find where the draft comes from
Now I'm just thinking maybe the draft comes from the side pier but I can't open that part and check inside because of the air bag which is installed there
I will be happy to hear from you
Thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
was your car ever in a accident? Because if the weather stripping is sealed and the plastic inside the door is sealed. then you shouldnt have any leaks. Leaks come from holes. so there must be ones somewhere. The C pillar is not connected to the outside air in anyway so no air should be coming from there. here is one last thing to check. do you have running boards steps? If you dont look under the car and there should be three black plastic plugs in the threads where the running board bolts hold to the frame. They are about a inch and a quarter in diameter. if those are missing then air could leak into the body and into the car. Thats the only other thing I can think of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts