Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Coming to the US tomorrow - yay!

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  RyanRage 
#1 ·
Been pretty busy of late with our new (now 4 months!) little girl, so not been on here as much as previously, but managed to find time to book our hols so leaving for Florida tomorrow :)

2 things... edit ok - 3 things!

Booking our hire car today (nothing like being well prepared!) and think we'll probably have a 'full size SUV' - it's a bit of a novelty compared to what we have here! Obviously its dependent on whats available at the pound, but what are the better big SUVs I should look for and which should I avoid?

secondly - I might look for a few Escape accessories as there isnt much available over here - any good shops/chains i should look out for? any reasonably small bits and piece you can suggest I search out?

and thirdly.... we're staying in central FL near Orlando, we've done all the big attractions plenty of times before but can anyone recommend anything a bit different thats in the area that wont be in the tourist guides!??

Getting excited now :)

#2 ·
Never been to FL .......yet. Have a fun and safe time!! :) :) :)

#3 ·
For an SUV, get a Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon. Can't get more American than that (and you get to kill Kermits).

For a smaller "large" SUV, try the GMC Acadia/Chevrolet Traverse/Buick Enclave/Saturn Outlook (they're all the same car :lol: ). Those are unibody so you don't get the full truck experience.

#4 ·
I wouldn't want the full size anything. If you have five or less of you, the Edge would be a better bet. Hyundia Santa Fe is pretty nice for five as well. Neither is full size, both are mid-size yet handle very well and get decent fuel mileage.

Sites? I have only passed through Florida, flying in and driving out in a car/truck. Just for grins, I'd have a look at the Keys southwest of Miami. Panhandle portion is "pretty country", but not in the looks department, rather backwards in some respects. Yet folks seem to enjoy going there as the "other Florida".

One piece of advise; Don't feed the gators!

#5 ·
well it turns out i missed the boat on a full size SUV anyway, booked into a standard class - Chevy Trailblazer (which I've hired before and thought it was ok) 'or equivalent'

never really fancied the keys, seems such a long drive for not a lot - we've spent time at Cedar Key off the west coast of florida and thought it was beautiful - was told it was certainly a lot more 'authentic' than key west etc. bBeen up to the pan handle part before too, as have family in southern AL - never really saw much of it but know what you mean about it being a sloooow pace of life!

#6 ·
I think you will enjoy the Trailblazer arbs. It rides pretty well. You can always ask when you get to the rental car counter about upgrading to the Tahoe, etc.

If you want to stay with Ford, you might try the Expedition. It is similar in size to the Yukon/Tahoe.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Florida. :beer:

#7 ·
YOU MAD FOOL, ARBS, VISITING THE UNDERDEVELOPED COUNTRY :worry: :whistle:

WHATS WRONG WITH SUFFOLK :whistle: :box: ;)

BTW, Enjoy your holiday over there, and do I detect that there are some mods for your Maverick in the planning stage :yahoo:

#8 ·
arbs said:
...we'll probably have a 'full size SUV' - it's a bit of a novelty compared to what we have here!
There is only one "quintessential" big-time SUV when I think about my neighbours to the south... yep, I'm talking about the "High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle" also known as the HMMWV or Humvee.

You need to search our a rental agency in Florida that will let you drive off the lot with an H1, ready to take on the Florida swamps and gators without fear. Score a couple of high-powered, semi- (or full) automatic rifles for the rack, and your vacation experience will be complete (and definitely something you'd have a hard time replicating in jolly old England).

:woohoo:

#10 ·
arbs said:
and thirdly.... we're staying in central FL near Orlando, we've done all the big attractions plenty of times before but can anyone recommend anything a bit different thats in the area that wont be in the tourist guides!??

Getting excited now :)
You may want to visit. OLD-TOWN in Kissimmee. (on 192) every Saturday night is cruise night. Lots of old vintage cars. and no admission charge. Or try the Bock-Tower gardens. About 45 min. away in Lake Wales. To eat, try the Cat-Fish Place on 192 east in St. Cloud or JT's on 192 west in Kissimmee. Mrs. PK always likes going to Church Street Station (in the evening) in Orlando. Hope that helps......... PK

#11 ·
In reference to your "second" item, about the only place you'll find Escape accessories, is a "Ford Dealer". Even then, they often have to order.

I hope you have a good time. I was in the area for about 10 days for training once (tough -- I know). About the only touristy attraction I did -- was Universal Studios. I was alone, so there's only so much fun one can have. I scoped out the outlet malls, and found no bargains. I drove over to Cocoa Beach, and up HW 1 to Daytona. That was a nice drive.

#14 ·
Actually, you will pretty much want to skip everything EXCEPT for the following ten "naturalist" beaches so you can sun in your full glory and return to the UK with that all-body tan:
:thumb:

Haulover Beach:
The only legal beach on this list, this beach draws nude bathers of every age, shape and sexual orientation. The clothing-optional sections are well-marked and maintained by the county, so you can sun without fear.

Apollo Beach:
While nude sunning is illegal, it's generally tolerated if you are discrete. Nearby Daytona offers naturist accommodations.

Playalinda Beach:
This undeveloped beach is secluded enough to make most nudists feel comfortable. While it also draws eco-tourists with binoculars, don't worry - they come to gawk at the wildlife, not you.

John D. MacArthur Beach State Park:
Also known as Air Force Beach, this park hasn't been a legal nude beach since the 1980s. A sub-tropical paradise, you can usually get away without a bathing suit if you don't actually cross the park's boundaries.

Hobe Sound:
A secluded spot where celebrities like Celine Dion build multi-million dollar mansions, Hobe Sound has views that outshine the glitz. Cautious naturists can catch some rays in the buff since most people come to escape the crowds.

St. Lucie Inlet State Reserve:
This state reserve offers the same seclusion, celebrity homes and warnings as nearby Hobe Sound. Nude bathing isn't legal here, so strip with caution.

South Beach:
The anything-goes approach to life here makes unofficially clothing-optional beaches easy to find.
St. Vincent Wildlife Refuge: Uninhabited and accessible only by boat, you'll have to share your spot of beach with sea birds and turtles.

Gulf Islands National Seashore:
Although nude bathing isn't legal, long stretches of deserted beach means most naturists can skinny dip in peace.

Navarre Beach (Eglin Air Force Base):
While you can depend on warm weather, the social climate changes quickly. Authorities used to turn their heads, but now nude bathers need to exercise caution.

And remember... :pics:

#17 ·
thanks for all the responses!

well we got here ok, and am now enjoying the benefits of free wifi from the villa :)

Car choice was a bit limited at Alamo - Only a few too choose from - we couldve had a Santa Fe (which we have but are considered a bit 'budget') a Toyota Highlander (which we skipped due to no luggage cover), A Jeep patriot (too small) and a Ford Flex which I REALLY liked the look of but again had no luggage cover. We ended up with a Nissan Murano, a car we get in the UK but are pretty rare things. Was pretty curious about how it would be as I've always quite liked the look so took it out and have been really impressed. first time in a CVT too which is also pretty good :)

Anyway, as for your responses... Think this is my 6th time here so done all the big things quite a few times, will probably do the disney parks as can get a reasonable deal on the tickets but to do them all (Univesal, IoA Sea World, Busch Gdns etc) gets VERY expensive!

been enjoying the 90 degree sun and the pool and generally been having a bit of a mooch round various malls, not sure whats planned for today tho really quite sure it wount be a nudest beach :lol: !! (and as for pictures....!)

Will defo be doing the car show/cruise thing at old town kissimmee at the end of the week, and there is also a shuttle launch scheduled wfor while we are here (if on the rare occassion that it doesnt get put back) so am hoping to see that from near the space center etc. Anyway better make the most of the day... My body clock (and laptop lol) are still saying 11.20 am even tho the clocks here say 6.20 am!

#19 ·
Hello arbs. So it is your sixth time in florida of america. WOW! Glad to hear you are having a sensational time. I am hoping for a chance to travel, if i be still alive at retiring age. Have only been to ' Victoria ' and ' New South Wales '. Never been overseas.

If for some reason i don't get to travel overseas, would like to see the other states of my nation. I can imagine everyone, knows by now my attitude towards adelaide. Should you ever decide to visit australia arbs, brent, latan or escapedtroy will clue you up. W.A. Northern territory. Queensland, New south wales and Victoria have lots to offer.

As for my magpie state of South. Australia, we have some interesting tourist regions out in the country areas. It is only my opinion, but i would give ' Adelaide ' a wide berth. You will not be missing much.

Can easily imagine myself overseas. Would be totally percolating as in good spirits. :lol: Meet up with Camus and Big Chris in england. Try to visit Lupo in austria. Attempt to visit some of the american and canadian forum members.

A european friend of mine has been to america. He visited california and san francisco.

#20 ·
stone said:
Hello arbs. So it is your sixth time in florida of america. WOW! Glad to hear you are having a sensational time. I am hoping for a chance to travel, if i be still alive at retiring age. Have only been to ' Victoria ' and ' New South Wales '. Never been overseas.

If for some reason i don't get to travel overseas, would like to see the other states of my nation. I can imagine everyone, knows by now my attitude towards adelaide. Should you ever decide to visit australia arbs, brent, latan or escapedtroy will clue you up. W.A. Northern territory. Queensland, New south wales and Victoria have lots to offer.

As for my magpie state of South. Australia, we have some interesting tourist regions out in the country areas. It is only my opinion, but i would give ' Adelaide ' a wide berth. You will not be missing much.

Can easily imagine myself overseas. Would be totally percolating as in good spirits. :lol: Meet up with Camus and Big Chris in england. Try to visit Lupo in austria. Attempt to visit some of the american and canadian forum members.

A european friend of mine has been to america. He visited california and san francisco.
I'm considering moving to Australia. :shades:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.