Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I'm putting this in the right category -- I have some antenna problems going on. Since I've been trying to find a good replacement for the stereo that was stolen out of my Escape, I've noticed that all of them seem to get bad reception. More specifically, it seems to be bad near the middle of the dial for some reason.

The antenna wire looks fine, but I'm wondering if the thief screwed it up by pulling on it or something. Is antenna wire like coax cable, where it can be damaged internally? If so, what would be my best course for replacing it? Can I put on a new wire, or do I need to replace the entire antenna?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, jpark. I'll check that out on my lunch break.

If the antenna is bad, I'm afraid I might have to retract all the bad things I've said about HD Radio in the last month. Ugh, I hope my shoes are clean... :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took a look in there, I cannot find a connection anywhere. The wire goes out the right side and into the fender well area, with nothing else in sight or reach.

I checked the antenna with a ohm meter, and I'm not sure if it is right. The ground is about 4 ohms, but the antenna connection is in the hundreds. When I first touch the probe to the line, it goes down to around 30 ohms, but then all the way to the end of the scale. This seems odd.

The Escape doesn't have an amplified antenna, does it? Do I need to run power into the power antenna lead (connect to the new head unit)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.