Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I turn to the gunieses on here for help. So the other day I go to restart the PC, it hangs up on the shutdown screen for over 5 min, so I hold the power button until it goes off, no biggie does this once in a while. push the power button to start up and nothing :shock: uhoh. So I quickly figure out the PS went out (again 2nd on in 3ish years) So I order a new one from newegg, gets here in 2 days (free ship too!) and now I'm back up & running! well almost...

So the reason for the post is the onboard USB is playing mind games wit me. They have power as in the usb mouse works fine, it turns on lights of devices I plug in, and even had a usb>serial adapter working, BUT it will not READ any device I plug in, ie a thumb/flash drive, ext hard drive, the built in card readers, etc. says USB Device not Recognoized on any data device. I have 2 usb in the front + the 4 card reader (the reade is dead completly!) plus 4 USB in the rear. All 6 USB have power, all 6 will not read a data device. The rear mount are direct linked to the MB, as in they seem to be soldiered on, behind a tin case can't see. The front USB & reader connect via a cable and MB plugs.

I have checked, and rechecked and all the mother board connections are secure.

The only thing that I can think of is the old PS had 1 4prong plug that connected to the MB near the CPU, the new one has 2 4prong plugs on the same cable run, they have their own lines to the PS, but they have been bundled togather. They all (new & old) look the same and have 2 black 2 yellow cables attached.

Did any one of the PS's fry 1/2 the USB channel? is there something obvious I'm missing?

I have even tried a system restore to a point last week, no go either.

For what it's worth: HP Pavilion m7360y, upgraded to Vista Premier. Oh and I did salvage a USB 2.0 pci card from an old system, and it reads data fine. It's just not as convient esp for the card reader.

Thaks for any input!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Which power supply did you buy from NewEgg?

Also, if there are two 4-pin square (2+2) connectors, one is designed to be plugged into the area near the CPU (it will have a retention tab on it), and the other one is designed to piggy-back on the 20-pin power connector on newer motherboards (it may have side tabs that allow it to slide and lock next to the 20-pin connector). If the power supply has a 24-pin connector, you should only have one 4-pin square (2+2) connector.

Your USB on-board connectors may have settings in BIOS. And look at your Device Manager for any yellow warnings. You may have the wrong drivers installed for the USB ports or the USB hub.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139008

Of course NOW there's a $20 rebate :cuss:

But it has a 24pin connector all ready. the 2 4pins near the cpu have clips.

I checked the Bios, didn't see anything there that turned off the USB.

They are powered, as in I can charge my mp4 players & the mouse works just fine... confusing.

Not sure why I have 2 4pin connectors... I guess this is it: 1 x 4-Pin/8-Pin EPS Connector, even tho it says 20+4 pin MB connector (1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)) It's just a 24pin, no +4 detachable portion.

?????? :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Well, you're already one step ahead.

I was going to say that any new power supply that you buy should be an 80+ Certified power supply, but you already knew that.

:thumb:

You're right about the connectors; the images don't match up with what you seem to have. I've run into that several times, since parts are updated all the time. And I've also missed rebates or price cuts by a few days, too. Then again, I've seen prices skyrocket a few days later, so it's all a wash if you buy as many parts as I do.

:shrug:

I'm guessing that the old power supply may have fried something on the motherboard, even if it's only the ability of the USB ports to read data devices. When most older power supplies age, the capacitors dry up. When they dry up, they cause some components to generate more heat, which dries up the capacitors even more, which... well, you get the idea. That's why I look for new motherboards made entirely with solid caps (like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131384).

How does a motherboard swap sound? You can do a repair install using your existing hard drive, but only if you have a Windows installation disk and not the "recovery" disks that most brand-name PCs have.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jpark said:
Well, you're already one step ahead.

I was going to say that any new power supply that you buy should be an 80+ Certified power supply, but you already knew that..
Nope, that was just luck... whatever that means

You're right about the connectors; the images don't match up with what you seem to have. I've run into that several times, since parts are updated all the time. And I've also missed rebates or price cuts by a few days, too. Then again, I've seen prices skyrocket a few days later, so it's all a wash if you buy as many parts as I do.

I'm guessing that the old power supply may have fried something on the motherboard, even if it's only the ability of the USB ports to read data devices. When most older power supplies age, the capacitors dry up. When they dry up, they cause some components to generate more heat, which dries up the capacitors even more, which... well, you get the idea. That's why I look for new motherboards made entirely with solid caps (like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131384).

How does a motherboard swap sound? You can do a repair install using your existing hard drive, but only if you have a Windows installation disk and not the "recovery" disks that most brand-name PCs have.
It's hard to say... I'm running at the moment, just have do dig out the old CF reader when I want to download pics from the camera.

I chatted with newegg & they said they don't honor price drops, but would make an exception for me for $5 :) Now if Corsair would do the same and double the $10 to $20 rebate (the dates overlap) would be even better!

Not sure about a MB swap, if I do that I'd think I'd get a case too as this one is hard to work in, but $ is tight these days.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
If it's just a USB problem and you're still happy with the speed of the computer, you can pick up a PCI USB card for ~$20. Some of them will have the connectors to hook up your front USB connectors as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
From what I've read this is a problem that seems to pick on vista more than you would think, many instances are after a power blip of some sort(power supply in your case).

It may sound really stupid and simple but try this:

1. Unplug (not just turn off) you PC.
2. Unplug all your USB devices from your PC.
3. Wait 30 minutes or more.
4. Plug in your essential USB devices (keyboard, mouse).
5. Plug in your PC, turn it on.
6. Pop in the rest of your USB devices.

Can't hurt to try it

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try that when I get home.
I thought drivers too so I did a system restore.
but would adding a pci usb card and that working fine be inline with the vista symptom?

zippyworld said:
From what I've read this is a problem that seems to pick on vista more than you would think, many instances are after a power blip of some sort(power supply in your case).

Can't hurt to try it

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zippyworld said:

Can't hurt to try it
Didn't work, but maybe because I can't get my fingers on the MB to unplug the card reader? every other device was unpluged, and power cord pulled for several hours.
Confusing. Conidinece of the timing. There has been no problems like this with this PC or Vista in all the time I"ve had it, 2-3 years or so.
Maybe next time I do a fresh install it'll work...

·
Registered
87 Posts
08HybridOK said:
Didn't work, but maybe because I can't get my fingers on the MB to unplug the card reader? every other device was unpluged, and power cord pulled for several hours.
Confusing. Conidinece of the timing. There has been no problems like this with this PC or Vista in all the time I"ve had it, 2-3 years or so.
The time I tried it I unplugged everything as the site I found the answer on stressed that, I had to unplug a card reader as well. The thread it was in had dozens of replies from people with the same problem who had been trying things far more drastic such as editing system files, nothing worked till they tried this.

I figured it would be an easy thing to try that would cost you nothing but some time. Your problems may be deeper than an easy fix and unless I have the computer right in front of me to try something immediately, I have a hard time staying focused on the problem. Try googling the original error message and see what you can find for fix suggestions and maybe save yourself a re-install.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I think it's 1/2 & half. My system started freezing up lately, so I got a chance to start in safe mode. I pluged in my flashdrive. 1 of the 2 ports read it, said it would be faster if plugged into a 2.0 port, the other still said unknow device. I didn't try any rear ports, and the card reader was still dead.

So after I get my wifes PC restored (running super slow from the 100's of games installed and never uninstalled, etc etc) I'll do mine next. maybe go back to XP to get access to one of my printers again, but I like the side bar of vista, so I dunno...

zippyworld said:
08HybridOK said:
The time I tried it I unplugged everything as the site I found the answer on stressed that, I had to unplug a card reader as well. The thread it was in had dozens of replies from people with the same problem who had been trying things far more drastic such as editing system files, nothing worked till they tried this.

I figured it would be an easy thing to try that would cost you nothing but some time. Your problems may be deeper than an easy fix and unless I have the computer right in front of me to try something immediately, I have a hard time staying focused on the problem. Try googling the original error message and see what you can find for fix suggestions and maybe save yourself a re-install.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess it's hardware :( I'm writing this from my freshly restored to factory PC
Still no USB other than mouse. I sent a message to Corsair to see if possibly the 4prong plug could be the culprut, but I'm sure they'll just say the old PS musta fried something on it's way out.

So off to reloading all my programs again! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.