Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason this has been happening to my computer. For no reason that I can see I'll go into the den to go on my computer and I'll have this square magnified section on my desk top. I'll need to either restart my computer or log off and come back on to get rid of it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Windows has a built-in magnifier as one of its accessibility options. Look through the Control Panel to see if it's being enabled somehow (some accessibility features are enabled with key shortcuts).

·
Registered
53 Posts
It could also be an issue with the video card. Hard to say. Have you installed any video driver updates lately?

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went through all the settings but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the tips.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duh! I found it! I just bought a wireless keyboard and mouse and the mouse has two extra buttons on the side that are programmable. Well, one of them was set to turn on the magnifier. I didn't even know it had extra buttons.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
--Ha, Ha, I love it. Don't feel bad, Nice to find out I'm not the only dufus on a computer. Hell, I just found a part on my 2001 Escape, that I had ten years,
that I didn't know existed.
Has anyone there ever net-worked two home PC's hard wired, under the floor, to the same Fios Cable modem, but in separate rooms?
One is XP (2004 Dell dimension 32 bit) the other is Vista (2009 HP 32/64 bit). I want to tranfer the XP files to the HP, disconnect the Dell and hook up a new 2010 Acer with win 7 Home, 32/64 in it's place. Then transfer the files back to the new PC. The Dell is getting slower & slower, just like the Dell I had before it that died. Don't want to keep those files on this PC (the HP) since it's hubby's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Estelle2 said:
--Ha, Ha, I love it. Don't feel bad, Nice to find out I'm not the only dufus on a computer. Hell, I just found a part on my 2001 Escape, that I had ten years,
that I didn't know existed.
Has anyone there ever net-worked two home PC's hard wired, under the floor, to the same Fios Cable modem, but in separate rooms?
One is XP (2004 Dell dimension 32 bit) the other is Vista (2009 HP 32/64 bit). I want to tranfer the XP files to the HP, disconnect the Dell and hook up a new 2010 Acer with win 7 Home, 32/64 in it's place. Then transfer the files back to the new PC. The Dell is getting slower & slower, just like the Dell I had before it that died. Don't want to keep those files on this PC (the HP) since it's hubby's.
If the FIOS cable modem has a built in switch, you should be good to go to network your PCs. If it doesn't, you will need to procure one. To move files from one PC to another via the network, you will have to place the files in a shared folder. Sometimes its easier to purchase a USB hard drive and move the files to it and then sneaker net the USB drive to the other computer and copy them over. As far as the slow PC goes, several things could be going on. Your hard drive may be failing, in which case it will log errors in the EVENT log under SYSTEM. MALWARE could be involved, but many times it's just all the stuff that has collected on the PC over the years. A fresh install of Windows will often bring a slow PC back to life.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If the FIOS cable modem has a built in switch, you should be good to go to network your PCs. If it doesn't, you will need to procure one. To move files from one PC to another via the network, you will have to place the files in a shared folder. Sometimes its easier to purchase a USB hard drive and move the files to it and then sneaker net the USB drive to the other computer and copy them over. As far as the slow PC goes, several things could be going on. Your hard drive may be failing, in which case it will log errors in the EVENT log under SYSTEM. MALWARE could be involved, but many times it's just all the stuff that has collected on the PC over the years. A fresh install of Windows will often bring a slow PC back to life.[/quote]

---Thanks Norm. I will check the event log. The machine should be clean. Have PC Tools best spyware & anti-virus on it, plus I don't go to bad websites. Over 3/4 of the hard drive is free too. Plenty of RAM. The PC was never quite right. I defrag & do clean-ups on it periodically too.
I think that's why my daughter gave it to me after only two years. Dell put in all the bells and whistles, since she does a lot of video editing.
I got the machine newly formated and I re-installed XP in 2006.
One of the problems with the Dell is the USB will now only accept 1.0 input/output. The drivers for the for 2.0 disappeared. Can't use the external HD or even newer flash sticks. Been looking for over a year for the drivers. They're not on the Dell driver re-install disc, the Microsoft download site, or other Driver sites I checked. An expert said I would have to track down the chipset for them and reinstall them onto the motherboard. System restore stopped working too. Just too much BS going on with it now.
If I can transfer everything okay etc., I'm going to format it and re-install XP again. If it runs okay, I'm giving it to one of the grandkids.
I will check with Verizon about the switch on the router.
I have the 1.0 USB migration cable I used to migrate the files to the Dell, from it predecessor in 2006, if networking doesn't work. I downloaded the Easy Wizard transfer program from Microsoft, for XP to '7' and Vista. I just don't want to mess up the new Acer with a bad transfer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Estelle2 said:
---Thanks Norm. I will check the event log. The machine should be clean. Have PC Tools best spyware & anti-virus on it, plus I don't go to bad websites. Over 3/4 of the hard drive is free too. Plenty of RAM. The PC was never quite right. I defrag & do clean-ups on it periodically too.
I think that's why my daughter gave it to me after only two years. Dell put in all the bells and whistles, since she does a lot of video editing.
I got the machine newly formated and I re-installed XP in 2006.
One of the problems with the Dell is the USB will now only accept 1.0 input/output. The drivers for the for 2.0 disappeared. Can't use the external HD or even newer flash sticks. Been looking for over a year for the drivers. They're not on the Dell driver re-install disc, the Microsoft download site, or other Driver sites I checked. An expert said I would have to track down the chipset for them and reinstall them onto the motherboard. System restore stopped working too. Just too much BS going on with it now.
If I can transfer everything okay etc., I'm going to format it and re-install XP again. If it runs okay, I'm giving it to one of the grandkids.
I will check with Verizon about the switch on the router.
I have the 1.0 USB migration cable I used to migrate the files to the Dell, from it predecessor in 2006, if networking doesn't work. I downloaded the Easy Wizard transfer program from Microsoft, for XP to '7' and Vista. I just don't want to mess up the new Acer with a bad transfer.
Sounds like you have a plan. The problems with computers is that no two similar issues seem to have same fix. As far as the Dell driver issue, have you tried going to support.dell.com and browsing to the Drivers and Downloads section? You can then type in the Service Tag of your PC and see all the drivers available for your computer. It should have chipset, bios, audio, video, network...the whole nine yards. I have had USB ports totally stop working before, but usually just uninstall them via hardware removal and have the OS reinstall them on reboot.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks Norm,--Yes, I went to the Dell support site, typed in the service tag no. etc.
Evidently the drivers that re-install that PCI port are not there. I even have the ID nos. of the darn things. If you go to 'ask questions' at all the tech sites, it's an ongoing problem with the older Dells. The only thing I haven't done is track down the mfg. of the motherboard and download the chipsets. Even that is not a sure thing according to some of the other owners of these problem machines, who have tried that route.
At this point, I just want to migrate the files to the new pc, before the Dell dies, but not screw up the new pc.
I'm going to try to track down my Grandson-inlaw, who works for/&writes programs for Drexel Inst. of Tech, the college he graduated from. My only problem with him is, he is hard to track down and really doesn't deal with windows too much anymore. He tends to nod his head and say that sounds
possible. Big help, not.
Things were much more simpler with the old 486's.
Estelle

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
---Yesterday, I finally got the two PC's networked. XP to Vista.
Been so busy today I haven't gotten a chance to try to migrate the files.
Yippeee so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts