Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to reinstall an OS during a thunderstorm?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If you have a UPS, and if you don't get hit by lightning.

:D

Seriously, I wouldn't do it if there's any chance of the power going out. If it goes out, I'd format everything and start over.

I use a UPS on every desktop I have.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The storms had moved 90% through before I even started and no power went out.

Whatcha think?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...and I was doing this on my laptop, not desktop... if that makes a difference...

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I get paranoid with thunderstorms and lightning. The laptop is switched off and i also remove the power plug from house power socket. There is a surge protector in the main switchboard outside, but i don't like taking chances.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
stone said:
I get paranoid with thunderstorms and lightning. The laptop is switched off and i also remove the power plug from house power socket. There is a surge protector in the main switchboard outside, but i don't like taking chances.
That is good advice for anything that runs on electricity now a days. A nasty surge wiped out my brothers tv, stereo and stove. Yeah, it has a processor in it as well... :doh: About five grand in damages total. :(

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
jpark said:
If you have a UPS, and if you don't get hit by lightning.

:D

Seriously, I wouldn't do it if there's any chance of the power going out. If it goes out, I'd format everything and start over.

I use a UPS on every desktop I have.
Why would you use a parcel delivery bloke in a Brown Lorry in a thunderstorm??? :worry: :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
:hyst: UPS...Uninterruptible Power Supply. Basically an ever rechargeable battery that is plugged into the house power circuit and the PC is plugged into it. Power goes off, battery keeps your PC up long enough to shut it down "gracefully". In other words you get to save your work, log off, and power down your PC.

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
He knew that. I think. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I assumed he did. Hence the Hysterical laughing man at the begining of my post. Then I thought someone might not know, so I posted the balance after the laugher... :)

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Then I thought someone might not know, so I posted the balance after the laugher... :)
Hey, thanks!! :D :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts