Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone come with a clever way of adding a light inside the console? My Escape has the ambient lighting, but no light inside the console.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont know about clever - I never thought about it.

However a couple of easy tricks.

1. Switch an LED on and off with a GloveBox light.
2. Just put an LED in there off the light circuit - Doesnt generate a lot of heat. Amber (not red), or white, or yellow would work best. I dont like this idea just due to light-leakage out of the console.

Anyone have a good answer to the Glovebox light problem yet? - Im thinking of using alternate Mazda/Ford parts to do something. Ford here in the Falcons has a single combined switch/lamp which mounts in a (10mm or so) hole which could do it I think

·
Registered
328 Posts
im actually doing the interior lighting today.
so far ive added the white LEDS in all four footwels. I have also on a seperate switch, hooked up white LEDS inside the center console, glove box and one for cup holders - giving me light inside the console, glove box and cup holders all at the hit of a switch. tommorow i plan on adding them to the door compartments. pics will follow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This actually isn't that hard at all and you can do it a few ways. I did cup holder lighting, footwell lighting in my mazda 3. I taped into the cigerette lighter and used LEDs as they emit 0 heat and are nice and bright. You could put it on a switch and turn it on and off as your please or put one of those trigger switches so when you lift the console door it will trigger the switch and turn the light on and when you close it vola it will turn off.

Ive been toying with the idea of the lights in the cup holders again....we shall see. Id like to see some pics Breensy when your done with yours.

Color choices are the other issue..... Ive had red leds and though they look nice they give you shitty light. For my console id go with white as its a nice bright light and that is what you want it for to see so. For cup holders or foot wells Id like to stick with the lighting theme in the escape already and in my 09 is blueish.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm also looking forward to see Breensy's pictures. What kind of LED lights are you guys referring to? Are these sold at automotive stores specificially for auto applications?

·
Registered
79 Posts
DaveJ said:
I'm also looking forward to see Breensy's pictures. What kind of LED lights are you guys referring to? Are these sold at automotive stores specificially for auto applications?
Yes I just bought my lights in the past at the source (use to be radio shack in Canada) bu I think most auto parts stores would have them. They are cheap or you can order some online.

·
Registered
679 Posts
u can get like 30 lights for 30$ from ebay, that's what i used for my floor lights in im interior mod post. Comes with switch, easy to install. :beer:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Okay so here are some pics, im still not quite finished. i need to sand the holes a bit and also want to add the lights to the door compartment, and posibly handles. also when it gets dark out i will take some proper night pics of these and the foot lighting, these pics kinda suck because its daytime...

heres the cup holder lighting:

heres the center console lighting(crappy pic, will clean out and get night shot):

and finally glove box lighting:

·
Registered
679 Posts
cool. :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.